RSS Feed Print
Gabriel McEnroe aka Gabriel MacEnroe - Swiss arrest now in Miami?
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 3/20/2007 2:54:11 PM

By: Offshore Informant

Gabriel Francis Macenroe (aka) Gabriel Mcenroe has had at least two (2) federal criminal cases pending - Florida and South Carolina - against him since October 31, 2000 relating to money-laundering and fraud years ago.

After his Florida federal criminal case was merged into his South Carolina federal criminal case on June 20, 2003 the U.S. District Court in Greenville, South Carolina saw its federal judge order Macenroe (aka) Mcenroe to return from Switzerland or the United Kingdom to answer his second (2nd) federal criminal case seen from Florida that involved his dealings with a reputed member of The Trafficante Mafia Family. Macenroe was to bring all his foreign financial business records to court on June 20, 2003.

Macenroe knew the risks involved in his line of work but decided to take the easy way out by breaking his promise and skipping out on an $800,000 (USD) bail reduced to $200,000 (USD) used as security for his promise to appear in U.S. federal court. Consequently, Macenroe's behavior was seen as yet another blatant violation of U.S. federal law so the U.S. Court issued a federal warrant for the arrest of Gabriel Macenroe.

In August 2004, an Irish Sunday Times newspaper saw Gabriel Macenroe as having fallen out of the good graces of the U.S. Department Of Justice. The article quoted Macenroe's claim the FBI wire-tapped his friends office in Switzerland, and that his two (2) federal criminal cases were "not serious" because of plans to dismiss all charges against him in the United States.

In late 2004 he was found arrested in Ireland but within a few days he was found back at work in Switzerland.

In 2005, he was found in St. Petersburg, Russia meeting before a wide variety of notable international businessmen and leaders of government such as Vladimir Putin of Russia during a conference involving Artic region petroleum shipping lane modifications. Macenroe had aligned business affairs in Switzerland with a diesel technology firm his old Swiss partner was involved with. Later they changed firm names and represented the same business under another name before the conference in Russia. A report surfaced prior to the conference along with calls made to INTERPOL for Macenroe's interception in Russia and return to the United States. But then Macenroe disappeared again.

Numerous U.S. court cases - named and numbered - that surrounded Gabriel MacEnroe (aka) Gabriel McEnroe activities are listed within a report, at:

http://www.indymedia.org/en/2006/03/835443.shtml

Subsequent indications recently surfaced of his arrival in Miami, Florida accompanied by U.S. federal agents and it is not known whether Macenroe (aka) Mcenroe was in the United States from Switzerland, to:

A. Answer federal criminal charges on matters surrounding his own two (2) federal criminal cases;

B. Provide testimony in another federal criminal case(s); and/or,

C. Both of the aforementioned.

Reports indicate Macenroe was detained in Switzerland but since that time, there has been no public release of information surrounding his having been seen in Florida recently. Whether the greater Miami area saw Gabriel Francis Macenroe (aka) Gabriel Mcenroe confined remains unknown to the public this week.

Submitted,

Offshore Informant
[E-MAIL: OffshoreInformant@safe-mail.net]

/

/

Anonymous

Posted: 3/21/2007 12:55:02 PM

By: ECONIC

I was unable to open one (1) of the links from the previous post, however the following case in Minnesota appears to reference Macenroe involvement, Macenroe Swiss associates, and the MLAT issue referenced:

http://www.ca8.uscourts.gov/briefs/04/10/appellant/042497_1br.pdf

ECONIC
[ECONIC@bluewin.ch]

Anonymous

Posted: 3/21/2007 12:34:36 PM

By: ShoreLines

Foreign news archives show Macenroe minimizing his role with the FBI, however research uncovered documents that would prove otherwise.

Research uncovered a U.S. federal criminal case surrounding Macenroe and his Swiss associates where on appeal from his conviction a defendant's counsel sought to use MLAT (Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty) to obtain testimony from Macenroe and others. A legal procedure whereunder foreign witness testimony may be obtained outside United States jurisdiction or, in the alternative, the cooperating foreign jurisdiction sees their citizen brought to the MLAT cooperating foreign jurisdiction to secure their testimony in a very serious court case.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/data2/circs/8th/042497P.pdf

Currently, there is a very serious U.S. federal criminal court case in Portland, Oregon set for trial in April 2007 involving individuals surrounding the now-defunct independent offshore bank First International Bank of Grenada Ltd. In May 2006 defense counsels sought court orders applying MLAT measures to obtain testimony from several foreign individuals surrounding that bank.

Although Macenroe briefly tells of his involvement with the Grenada bank, his work for the FBI, and other matters, his arrival in Miami, Florida 2-weeks ago as a witness under federal protection to provide testimony in the April 2007 Portland, Oregon federal criminal trial and/or as a captured U.S. federal fugitive has yet to be determined.

Here (below) is what Gabriel MacEnroe had to say during his interview with the foreign press:

====

THE SUNDAY TRIBUNE [ Dublin, Republic Of Ireland ]

Business [ page 5 ]

The Irish Businessman Who Fell Foul Of The FBI
By, John Mulligan [ jmulligan@tribune.ie ]

August 8, 2004

It was probably the last thing Gabriel MacEnroe expected. It was the day before Halloween - and a mild one - in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina in the United States where the autumn weather can often be akin to a good Irish summer's day.

But that Monday afternoon in 2000, as the then 56-year-old sat in a condominium chatting to a recently made acquaintance, his pleasant day was abruptly turned on its head. For what MacEnroe didn't know was that his new friend, Vern [ Vernon W. Shiflett http://www.nasdr.com/pdf-text/0204dis.txt & http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/04/04/loc_ohio_man_accused_of.html ], was an FBI plant.

On the previous occasions they had met and spoken on the phone in the preceding three months, the conversations with MacEnroe had been recorded and video taped. But Vern's job was nearly over.

Mid-conversation, agents from the FBI - courteous to a fault, by accounts - forced entry to the condominium and arrested a very surprised MacEnroe.

The criminal charges:

- Conspiracy To Defraud The Government;

- Wire Fraud; and,

- Aiding and Abetting Wire Fraud.

The Irishman had just become embroiled in the largest so-called Ponzi scheme investigations to have ever hit South Carolina.

The Ponzi scheme, where around 1,300 mostly elderly people in and around South Carolina had been duped into forking out more than $60,000,000 (49,800,000 euros) in the hope of large returns on their investments, had gone belly-up and now the FBI was trying to track the money. Ponzi schemes work by using money taken from one investor to pay a previous investor a return, giving the illusion that money is being invested and a return being generated. They're essentially pyramid schemes, but when the pool of investors runs dry, the pyramid implodes.

As MacEnroe was driven off to the state's Spartanburg county detention facility to await a court appearance, the FBI was putting together a case against him. Contacted by The Sunday Tribune, the Switzerland-domiciled MacEnroe describes the case against him as "preposterous", claiming he was "entrapped" by the agency and its undercover informant.

The FBI believed that MacEnroe had come into possession of a significant amount of the money that had been given to him by one of the main targets in their investigation, David Morgenstern. Morgenstern would later be jailed, along with his brother Frederick, for 15 and 10-years respectively, having being convicted in Florida of conspiring to launder money from the Ponzi scheme through check cashing outlets controlled by a Miami-based organized crime family.

Also in the dock were a husband and wife team - the Womack’s - and 3 other individuals, all facing a total of 56 charges.

The FBI claimed that MacEnroe, and Morgenstern made "false and misleading representations about various proposed investments, their backgrounds and expertise in sophisticated investment programs, their association with select international traders who could effectuate participation in guaranteed high-yield investment programs, and their relationship with and licenses from various governmental agencies sponsoring projects which could result in high investment returns." The agency further added that among the claims made by MacEnroe and Morgenstern was that one proposed venture was linked to the highly secretive National Security Agency (NSA) and involved a 52-satellite project.

The FBI also maintained that MacEnroe made the following claims: he worked with the US Treasury; he was a "trustee" of the Central Intelligence Agency; he was an "FBI collector" as his father had been; and the Federal Reserve Bank engages in negotiations with him or his associates regarding the investments. These kinds of allegations have set websites that track international investment schemes alive with chatter about MacEnroe. Some claim that he is a "rogue agent" of the CIA, others that the CIA actually backs MacEnroe's Commercial Capital Finance Ltd. firm in St Gallen, Switzerland. MacEnroe laughs at the suggestions that he is some kind of US government stooge.

The day after his arrest, MacEnroe appeared in court and, with high-blood pressure and other medical concerns, a doctor was ordered to the jail to attend to him. Within a week, he had his required bond reduced from $800,000 to $200,000. It was paid in cash and MacEnroe was released.

But almost two years later, when he failed to turn up for a court appearance in South Carolina, the bond was forfeited and a bench warrant issued for his arrest.

From Switzerland, MacEnroe protests his innocence and labels the FBI investigation a "sham". Now listed as a fugitive by the US justice system, he cannot step foot inside the US without the almost certain prospect of being arrested. All the while, he must live with the distinct possibility that the US authorities will initiate extradition proceedings against him.

"The reason why I didn't go back for the hearing was because I was seriously ill," says MacEnroe from his Swiss office. "They [the US authorities] didn't accept that and so they issued a bench warrant for my arrest." MacEnroe and his South Carolina lawyer maintain that a plea arrangement had been formulated - but not signed - that would see MacEnroe plead guilty to minor offences that would require no jail time to be served, effectively a "slap on the wrist", as MacEnroe describes it.

"The basis of that was that I would relinquish the bail bond, and that I would not contest a lien for $200,000 I had on Morgenstern's home," adds MacEnroe, stating that the US authorities also had a claim on the property. "I'd never even heard of the Womack couple involved in the case, but Morgenstern made a statement that he had transferred something like $10m or $20m to Switzerland, which was proved through our bank records here to be incorrect." MacEnroe claims that the FBI then decided to pursue him regardless, to see if they could "get some money" out of him.

MacEnroe says that he was introduced to Morgenstern in 1998 through a merchant bank in London, which had proffered glowing references for the American.

"Morgenstern asked us for advice on the structuring of some investments he was doing," adds MacEnroe. "As it happened, and this was pure coincidence, I had heard of these investments Morgenstern was involved in and I knew they were phony. I told him not to go near them, but he pursued them anyway. I had no idea what he was really up to." MacEnroe says that Morgenstern used to visit him in Switzerland every few months.

When he approached MacEnroe's investment firm in summer 2000 with an idea for an investment project, they demanded that bankers named in references appear in person to vouch for him.

They did, says MacEnroe, and the references came out glowing. They then asked MacEnroe if he'd be interested in getting involved financially in the plan.

"I was going to the US on other business anyway, so I met the people involved when I was over there," he claims, remembering that he met them in Myrtle Beach. "I was told that this [project] had all been checked out by two respected lawyers. And then I told Morgenstern and the others involved that we would be able to help them, but that they'd have to come to Switzerland to meet the bankers who'd be putting up the money. Then I was arrested." He believes that the FBI thought he would be able to put pressure on Morgenstern to return money that they believed he had sent to Switzerland. As more details of the massive Ponzi scheme emerged over the next 18 months, MacEnroe claims it became evident to US prosecutors that they would not be able to find him guilty of anything. Despite this, MacEnroe says the FBI visited Switzerland, and that agents did so "to try and tap" his company phones, and that they were "kicked out of Switzerland".

"There was no question of stealing money or anything," explains MacEnroe of the South Carolina prosecution, "but what I didn't know at the time was that Morgenstern had stolen, along with the Womack’s, all this money. I had never set eyes on or even spoken to the Womack’s before. I think he was simply trying to use me to steal more money, but it wouldn't have worked because we would just have brought them in to one of the banks which would have sussed it out." MacEnroe's assertion that he would admit to a minor offence as part of a plea arrangement, despite protesting his innocence, might seem an unreasonable step to take for someone who claims that prosecutors knew they couldn't convict him of anything. It's not unheard of though, in white-collar cases in the US, for defendants to pay fines without admitting liability.

"I said yes, I would make a settlement because this thing has ruined my life." But, with matters in South Carolina still in limbo, a pattern of being in the wrong place at the wrong time emerges.

CLOSE ENCOUNTER

In June this year, a security guard was shot dead at a residential compound in Uganda's capital, Kampala, when local police launched a raid to arrest a US national who had been on the run since 1998.

The police were after Van Arthur Brink, known to MacEnroe and many others as Gilbert Ziegler. Wanted for a $206,000,000 fraud in the US, Ziegler was extradited and faces over 100 charges. It's alleged he used money defrauded from US investors to buy an organic vegetable farm, a tanning machine, luxury cars, and property in Oregon, Grenada and Uganda.

Ziegler and associates had offered unsuspecting clients returns of up to 300% by investing in two banks - Fidelity International Bank and First International Bank of Grenada (FIBG). Although wanted in the US, Ziegler had been happily flitting unchallenged between Uganda and Grenada.

MacEnroe was to have another close encounter, just months after being arrested in South Carolina. He says he was asked to go to Grenada by "independent parties" to see if he could "help" FIBG.

He says he at first refused the invitation, but relented, as he had intended visiting the island to see an old friend. It was early 2001. On arrival, he claims he was brought to meet Grenada's registrar of banks who asked him if he wanted to buy FIBG. He declined, but was introduced to the owner: Van Arthur Brink.

"I recognized him from a mugshot," remembers MacEnroe. "I said: 'You're Mr. Ziegler, not Mr. Brink.' He took exception to that and claimed I worked for the CIA. I told him I didn't work for anyone." But despite knowing Ziegler's background, MacEnroe suggested he might be able to interest another bank in buying FIBG, if he was given a list of its assets. And just why did MacEnroe continue any involvement? "I was curious," he offers by way of explanation.

"They had no assets," adds MacEnroe. "They had a lease on a 10,000 carat ruby worth $20,000,000 and some sort of a contract on an old bond worth $8,700,000,000 billion, but they had not title to it. I told them they were worthless. They didn't even have a deposit base and said that the money - about $120,000,000 - had gone." "At the same time, I was called by the FBI's Oregon office, which had found out that I was in Grenada, and asked if I could give them details of the bank. I did and so the agency was able to prosecute Ziegler." MacEnroe refutes claims that he had divested FIBG of its assets and that he was arranging for a group of European investors to take it over. He says it was Ziegler who absconded with the assets.

FIBG became a big local scandal in Grenada, as the island's Prime Minister was dragged into the affair with claims he received money from people associated with the bank. He has denied this, but the opposition party has demanded full explanations, which local newspapers say have not yet been forthcoming.

MacEnroe's troubles continued when, last year, investment bank Bear Stearns named him in a complaint against a number of individuals in a case filed in Texas. But MacEnroe and his company were later found to have no case to answer. He claims he still maintains a business relationship with Bear Stearns.

There's much more that crops up in relation to MacEnroe. Is it a case of just bumping into the wrong people?

"Yes, " answers MacEnroe, who says his company offers "financial engineering" for projects and mainly deals with governments and local municipalities. "We used to have a large client-base and people could come in looking for services. But we don't do that anymore. We won't work with anyone anymore unless we know them or we've checked them out. In Morgenstern's case, we just didn't do enough due diligence and we got caught."

MacEnroe doesn't divulge much about his past, saying he worked in the US for a number of years before moving to Switzerland in 1992. His explanations will undoubtedly fail to stop the web-based rumor mills - for someone of his professed financial caliber he should learn to tread more carefully.

====

An interesting foreign financial business connection between MacEnroe and Ralph King (Malibu, California) in a Clovis, New Mexico city government financial fraud scheme in connection with a person in Africa and close business partner (Gen. Salim Saleh) in Uganda with the founder (Van A. Brink) of that same Grenada bank. Coincidence?

Research

http://www.kycnews.com/message_board_detail.asp?id=7241&page=92

Submitted,

ShoreLines
[E-MAIL: ShoreLines@bluewin.ch]

Average 0 out of 5
Jump to different Forum...