Ben is a director of Cidel Bank & Trust, currently consulting on business and product development opportunities utilizing Barbados’ treaty network. Prior to joining Cidel, Ben was an international tax and managing partner of Ernst & Young, Barbados. In this capacity, he provided international tax services to international clients, including many major multinational companies and high net worth individuals. Ben has over 25 years of experience in both the UK and Barbados.
Ben has served as adviser to the Barbados Government since 1998 on double taxation treaty strategy, the development of new legislation, and the impact of international tax developments on the Barbados International Business Sector. In this capacity, he was a member of the Barbados Government team that negotiated the removal of Barbados from the OECD’s list of tax havens in 2000. Ben participated in Barbados’ tax treaty negotiations with a number of countries including Canada, China, Italy, Spain, Mexico, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and the US.
Ben has made a significant contribution to the development and amendment of new and existing legislation in Barbados.
He is currently a member of:
- The United Nations Committee of Experts on International Cooperation in Tax Matters;
- The Barbados Government’s Joint Policy Working Group and spearheaded the Group’s Strategic Planning Subcommittee which developed the Barbados International Business Strategic Plan 2007-2012;
- The CARICOM Working Group on Fiscal Policy;
- The Barbados Government’s Working Group on the Economy;
- The Barbados Government’s Council of Economic Advisers, and
- The Board of Directors of the Barbados Private Sector Association.
Ben is also a frequent speaker worldwide on international tax matters.