Paul Steven Singerman is Co-Chair of Berger Singerman law firm and concentrates his practice in troubled loan workouts, insolvency matters and commercial transactions.
Paul is active throughout the United States in large and complex restructuring, insolvency and bankruptcy cases. His work in many cases has garnered the widespread respect of his peers. Although Paul is best known for his representation of debtors in complex restructuring cases, he is also experienced in representing creditors' committees, lenders, large unsecured creditors, asset purchasers in § 363 sales and trustees. Much of his work has involved companies with international operations or European or Asian parties-in-interest.
- Representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp. (TBW). Prior to its bankruptcy, TBW was the largest independent mortgage originator in the United States. Headquartered in Ocala, Florida, TBW employed approximately 2,500 people across the United States in its main business and employed another 1,500 people in various subsidiaries. This case involves approximately $5 billion in claims;
- Counsel to Judge Herbert Stettin as Chapter 11 Trustee for the law firm of Rothstein, Rosenfeldt & Adler, P.A. This case is reported to be the largest Ponzi scheme in Florida history and involves approximately $1.2 billion in claims;
- Served as debtor's counsel in Aloha Airlines, Adva-Lite, Inc., Puig Development, and Levitt and Sons; and as co-counsel to the debtors in the chapter 11 cases of AT&T Latin America, Atlas Air/Polar Air Cargo, and the TOUSA, Inc. et al cases;
- Served as special counsel in the liquidation of Havens Steel.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Fellow, The American College of Bankruptcy;
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation;
- Member, The American Law Institute;
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Awards & Recognition
- American College of Bankruptcy – Paul was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy in November 2002, and was inducted into the College on March 29, 2003;
- Chambers & Partners USA, America’s Leading Business Lawyers (2003-2011): Recognized as a “Star Individual” in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business — one of seven bankruptcy lawyers (2009), one of ten bankruptcy lawyers (2010) and one of fourteen bankruptcy lawyers (2011) in the country and the only bankruptcy lawyer in the state of Florida in three years to receive Chambers’ highest ranking. The Chambers’ interviewees observed that Paul is “a leading light in this field, and arguably the best in the state.”
- Expert Guides, a British publication produced by Legal Media Group, has recognized Paul as the top Insolvency and Restructuring lawyer in Florida. Paul received more nominations for this recognition than any other lawyer in the State.
- The American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter – Paul was nominated into membership of The American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter in September 2003. The American Inns of Court is a group of judges, lawyers and law professors with 20,000 active members throughout the United States whose mission is to foster excellence in professionalism, ethics, civility and legal skills in order to perfect the quality and efficiency of justice in the United States.
Articles & Presentations
- Contributing Author, "Creatively Rethinking Law Firm Growth," Inside the Minds: Strategies for Growing a Law Firm, 2010 Ed., Aspatore Books;
- “Collection of Attorneys’ Fees by Creditors – Effect of Travelers Casualty & Surety Co. of America v. Pacific Gas & Electric Co. (2007)” and “Recent Developments in Chapter 11 cases” published in the Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute, 34th Annual Seminar on Bankruptcy Law and Rules, Atlanta, Georgia (April 2008);
- “Doing Good in Chapter 11 Liquidating Plans” published in the December 2006 edition of the American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, Volume XXV, No. 10;
- “Non-Consensual Third Party Plan Releases After Metromedia Fiber Network” (co-author) and “Continuing Viability of and Limits on Key Employee Retention Programs Under BAPCPA” (co-author), published in the April 2006 edition of Southeastern Bankruptcy Law Institute
- Speaker, "The Road Back: Navigating Companies In Challenging Times," 2012 Distressed Investing Summit & 6th Annual Turnaround Awards, Palm Beach, FL (January 2012);
- Speaker, "Communicating with Clients and the Role of Clients in Litigation," Daily Business Review - View from the Bench: Litigation Best Practices, Miami, FL (June 2011);
- Speaker, "Cutting-Edge Litigation Issues: Ponzi Schemes, the Return of the Leveraged Buyouts, Valuation Disputes and More," American Bankruptcy Institute – 29th Annual Spring Meeting (April 2011);
- Speaker, "The Current State of Bankruptcy & Foreclosure: A View from the Bench, Bar, Realtors & Bankers," Bankruptcy & Foreclosure: View from the Bench, Miami, FL (February 2011)
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan - September 1983 - April 1997 (Associate: 1983-1991, Partner: 1992-1997)