A retired senior Metropolitan Police Officer. A resourceful and successful individual with significant experience at local, national and international level. Highly experienced in working with statutory and political partners, private industry and diverse communities. Able to achieve and exceed challenging targets. Outstanding leadership qualities, including the ability to work and deliver under extreme pressure. Recognised for innovative leadership style, passion and enthusiasm for new challenges. Highly self-motivated.
• Worked in over 20 countries (including Pakistan, USA, Cyprus, Spain and the Cayman Islands), addressing organised criminality, corruption & terrorism within differing legal systems and cultural environments.
• Involved in the establishment of the Independent Police Complaints system in Northern Ireland (Police Ombudsman’s Office) across political and religious divides and within a highly charged political environment, making a significant contribution to the peace process.
• In Northern Ireland, led a number of high profile cases involving allegations of murder and collusion by police officers. Also led on the investigation into whether the Omagh bomb, which killed 29 people, could have been prevented.
• Pioneered prisoner debriefs for resident informants (‘supergrasses’) within the Anti-Corruption Command; now adopted in law as a key component for combating organised crime, terrorism and corruption.
• Involved in the establishment of the Anti-Corruption Command, and led teams to successfully combat serious corruption within the Metropolitan Police. The model being then ‘exported’ to other jurisdictions.
• Led a large, complex and politically sensitive criminal investigation into corruption within law enforcement agencies and the Judiciary in the Cayman Islands.
• On behalf of the Metropolitan Police Service led on community reassurance in the aftermath of the police shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes. The approach was identified as national good practice by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
• Exceeded all government crime reduction targets for four successive years in two Borough Command Units – Lambeth and Ealing.
• Developed a groundbreaking community centred counter extremism programme (Lambeth Against Violent Extremism) which has now been adopted as a national pilot on behalf of the Home Office.
• Created and maintained an alliance of statutory partners and multi-faith communities after the London bombings to enhance community cohesion within Lambeth.
• Successfully empowered minority communities to take ownership of critical issues in Ealing and Lambeth.
• Established a radical programme to address gun crime in Lambeth, achieving increased community ownership of the problem and government acknowledgment of the initiative.
• Currently engaged in supporting Policing Projects in Kenya, Romania and the Seychelles.
• Managed 1000 police officers and 300 police staff in Lambeth, described by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabularies as one of the most challenging policing environments in Europe.
• Successfully managed an annual budget of £50m.
• Throughout police career managed a broad range of major criminal investigations and critical incidents, paying particular attention to their impact within the wider community.
• Was the strategic, operational and media lead for a wide range of significant events, managing risk and the reputation of the Metropolitan Police Service.
• Set clear strategic direction in a variety of environments, ensuring it the strategy was supported by an effective performance management framework.
• Lead on and managed change for the organisation.
• Ensured the service provided reflected the different needs of all sections of the community.
(All within Metropolitan Police Service; secondments to other organisations as indicated)
2009- Short term consultancy-Kenya, Romania Seychells,Hungary Ethiopia
2008-2009 Independent Consultant – SIO Operation Tempura, Cayman Islands
2007- 2008 SIO, Operation Tempura, Cayman Islands
2005 -2007 Borough Commander, Lambeth Borough
2003-2005 Borough Commander, Ealing Borough
2001-2003 Deputy Director of Investigations, Police Ombudsman’s Office, Northern Ireland (on secondment)
2000-2001 Detective Superintendent, Anti-Corruption Command
1998-2000 Detective Chief Inspector, Anti-Corruption Command
1996-1998 Detective Chief Inspector, National Crime Squad (on secondment)
1994-1996 Detective Inspector, South East Regional Crime Squad (on secondment)
1977-1994 Various roles – Detective Constable to Inspector in several boroughs and specialist units
Relevant qualifications and training
High Potential Development Scheme – accredited mentor
Commissioner’s Modernisation Reference Group – member
Strategic Critical Incident training
Firearms Strategic Command training
Conflict Resolution training (Northern Ireland)
Community Partnership (Strategic Level) course
Strategic Citizen Focus course
Stepping up to The Executive Level-course
Holder of Queen’s Police Medal for distinguished services to policing
Security clearance vetted
Current driving licence