OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Alphacreditunion URL
Internal Administrator
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011

Posted: 5/28/2002 4:06:32 PM

By: Brown

Thanks to all friends that replied my message.
Please look at www.alphacreditunion.com
Is that a licensed Bank in the Bahamas?

Anonymous

Posted: 5/29/2002 10:55:01 AM

By: David Marchant

Alliance Trust Bank has an almost identical web-site to Alpha Credit Union at www.alliancetrustbank.com.

The Central Bank of the Bahamas confirmed that Alliance Trust Bank was also not licensed, although there is an unrelated bank called Alliance Bank & Trust.

Anonymous

Posted: 5/29/2002 10:32:43 AM

By: NewStudent

Here's a few other disturbing issues...

Besides not being registered with the Central Bank (I also called), the whois search for Alpha Credit Union brings up the following...

William Glenn (mglenn@Canada.com) 866-844-5752

I called the number. It answers "Alliance Trust Bank". I discovered it to be the same phone screening service that the Alpha Credit number has. At either number, you must speak your name prior to anyone picking up the phone.

I could find no site for Alliance. I would have suspected the same pre-fabbed flash site that he's using for the Alpha site. (sites like these can be had at www.flashimpressions.com. It's literally a plug and play operation where your up and running in 30 minutes.)

I sent an email to the Alpha site, asking him to reconcile his claim of being a Bahamian bank. I'll predict no response, but should I be so entertained, I'll post it here.

Anonymous

Posted: 5/28/2002 4:32:21 PM

By: David Marchant

The web-site states that it is a licensed bank but the Central Bank of the Bahamas told me that it is not.

Anonymous

Posted: 5/29/2002 11:37:08 AM

By: NewStudent

Ah, yes...and a whois search on the Alliance site brings up Mr. Glenn with yet another number (416) 957-6378.

This number is answered "Global Financial Services" and also utilizes the "name first" screening service.

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.