OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Yank Barry(7)
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 4/18/2008 1:10:07 PM

By: Albert

If Yank is not convicted and sentenced next week there are a number of people in the Bahamas who will be very disappointed. Does anyone out there have any information which would lead to a conviction in the Bahamas?

Anonymous

Posted: 4/18/2008 2:22:34 PM

By: tevi fishstein

last I heard Yank was in Montreal visiting his mother for passover

Anonymous

Posted: 4/18/2008 2:13:57 PM

By: David Marchant

As I stated in a previous message, given that the re-trial is a bench trial before the same judge (Lynn Hughes) who overturned a jury's guilty verdicts in the first trial (and did so in a manner that I consider to be bizarre and suspicious), I expect Barry to be acquitted. I have such a low opinion of Judge Hughes, based on how he handled the first trial, that part of me thinks that Barry's acquittal might even be a foregone conclusion.

I was very surprised that the proseuction agreed to a bench trial before Hughes, whose impartiality and competence were very much called into question by how he handled the first trial.

David Marchant

Anonymous

Posted: 4/18/2008 1:20:48 PM

By: twilightzone

Maybe you should ask his former partner and best buddy.Non other than bad boy Jay Gotlieb.

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.