OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
BANK WEGELIN TO PULL OUT OF US
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 8/26/2009 8:33:31 AM

By: knightmare3000

private swiss bank, Bank wegelin, is scheduled to pull out of US operations according to article in Houston Chronicle today Agust 26,2009. I say this beacuse Cyrille Emery who used to post here uses that bank. perhaps he could respond

Anonymous

Posted: 8/28/2009 4:04:22 AM

By: cyrille emery

I generally do not comment on my past and present clients whereabouts...I am surprised and flattered to see that my name is associated with this famous institution to which I have no connection.

I cannot answer the question as I am not privy to their strategy... Probably cutting through red tapes imposed by new rules...

I would be more worried if Charles Schwab or Ameritrade would pull out from US stocks.

Anonymous

Posted: 8/27/2009 3:28:38 AM

By: Offshore Atty

Calling Bank Wegelin a "Joe's Hardware" is rather ignorant but, judging from the poster who seems to make daily anonymous hits on everything Swiss, not surprising. Bank Wegelin is the largest and oldest private bank in Switzerland. Their decision points up how other banks in Switzerland, and in offshore centers such as Singapore and Hong Kong, will likely react to increasing US scrutiny of tax withholding requirements. Any regular reader of this board will not be terribly surprised by this development.

As an aside, too many firms use the term "private bank" with absolutely zero knowledge of its meaning. A private bank under Swiss law means the partner-owners have unlimited personal liability.

Of course, you won't see this in the United States, where debt and bankruptcy are a permanent part of American culture and bankers are notorious for avoiding liability at all cost. I always get a kick out of outfits such as "Citibank Private Bank," as if Citibank would ever bail out its clients in a jam.

Anonymous

Posted: 8/26/2009 11:38:31 AM

By: Who?

This is a "Joe's Hardware closes Zurich store" sort of story.

Interesting to see how these firms will effectively compete when they've shut themselves out of access to the world's largest financial markets. Of course, considering their investment returns, it is probably a good thing for themselves and their clients.

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

ALL ARTICLES  
UAE 'gold supplier' SION Trading sued for '$5M fraud'
UAE-domiciled purported gold supplier SION Trading FZE, which has been implicated in several fraudulent schemes, including a cryptocurrency scam involving Bermuda-based Arbitrade, is being sued in Utah along with individuals and firms in or from Barbados, Canada, England, Panama, St. Lucia, and the USA for allegedly perpetrating a $5 million 'advance fee' fraud.
LATEST ARTICLES & DOCUMENTS  
Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.