OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Question to David Marchant
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 4/23/2010 9:32:08 AM

By: David Marchant

Re. "The article is really daming against you as an individual."

I exposed an illegal, unregistered securities offering by now-defunct ecombahamas.com (stories about which are available in our Story Library) and their response was to publish this ridiculous, profanity-laced rant on their web-site. The document reflects negatively on the author, John Hillok Kumpunen, who was involved in the offering, not me.

I don't know whether you are aware of it or not but you obtained that document from this web-site, which is the only place where it is publicly-availale. I made it available because it gives visitors to this site an indication of the riff-raff that is out there trying to take your money.

As you can see from the document that you downloaded, John Hillok Kumpunen, who is a Canadian national, claimed that the offering had never "even begun", notwithstanding the fact that shares were being openly offered for sale on his firm's own web-site, in contravention of Bahamas law. You can view the offering propsectus by clicking on the following link on our site: http://www.offshorealert.com/Documents/ecombahamasprospectus.pdf

Immediately after I exposed the unregistered offering, it was withdrawn by its sponsors, which really says it all.

Regarding your question to me of "What are you qualifications to give offshore advice and how do i get your neutral opinion on a couple of investments that i am looking at based in Bermuda?".

I am a trained and qualified journalist who offers accurate and credible information about offshore finance. It is up to readers of this information to make their own decisions based on this information.

Internal Administrator

Posted: 4/23/2010 8:39:40 AM

By: john higgins

David i am new to this site and find it really interesting.

I have read an article this morning; http://www.kycnews.com/Documents/ecombahamassite.PDF

The article is really daming against you as an individual. What are you qualifications to give offshore advice and how do i get your neutral opinion on a couple of investments that i am looking at based in Bermuda??

Anonymous

Posted: 5/5/2010 1:53:59 PM

You seem to be rather desperate to get me to state something like 'I offer investment advice'. It's almost like you are trying to set me up for something.

I don't offer investment advice and I will not give you investment advice (I don't count me telling you 'it's a fraud' as being investment advice, by the way).

I am a journalist who welcomes information, investigates leads and writes articles.

My email address is contained on every posting I make in this forum, should you want to send me information.

Anonymous

Posted: 5/5/2010 7:36:23 AM

By: John Higgins

Thanks for your reply but I thought you were the expert on giving advice in relation to offshore investments. On other tags entered on this forum you have asked for copy fund documentation but you haven't in relation to my enquiry. Do you have an email address where I can send a copy of the PPM??

Anonymous

Posted: 4/23/2010 9:00:57 PM

If you want information about a specific company or individual, I suggest you post a message here and hope that someone responds.

David Marchant

Anonymous

Posted: 4/23/2010 10:51:00 AM

By: john higgins

Thanks for that David. Sorry I thought you was a qualified advisor
not just a journalist but it doesn't matter. How can i get your opinion on these two Bermuda based investments i am looking at?

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.