OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Sidley Austin law firm
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 6/8/2011 11:49:12 AM

By: David Marchant

I have just had an extraordinary conversation with Thomas Cauley, an attorney with Sidley Austin, in Chicago, Illinois.

I was in two minds about posting details here but I feel that the pros outweigh the cons.

I called him about a civil complaint in which he represents the plaintiffs, two offshore funds and one onshore fund with the name 'Eden Rock', against allegedly fraudulent offshore reinsurance group Gerova Financial.

Several days ago, I left messages with both Mr. Cauley and his Sidley Austin colleague, Andrew Hart (based in New York), who represent the plaintiffs, in which I explained who I was, asked them to call me and stated that, among other things, I had information that could help their clients. I was not seeking any comment or any confidential information, I was simply seeking a clarification about someting in the civil complaint and, in return, I was prepared to ofer information that could be useful to their clients.

After not receiving a reply, I called Mr. Cauley again today and spoke with him. He said that Sidley Austin has a policy of not speaking with the press. I told him that I had information that could assist his clients and he was completely uninterested in learning what it was. He wasn't even curious, which I find baffling and, frankly, negligent, considering the duty he owes to his clients.

If any investors of Eden Rock Finance Fund and related parties want the information that your attorneys don't, please contact me at editor@offshorealert.com.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 7/28/2011 12:37:11 AM

By: Guru

Does the information you have for Eden Rock have anything to do with Donald A. Mitchell and Global Bank of Commerce?

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.