OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
WorldFraudAlert.com - Warning
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 6/25/2006 4:18:39 PM

By: David Marchant

Earlier today, an anonymous person posted a message on this message board that amounted to a free advertisement for a web-site at www.worldfraudalert.com.

I visited this web-site and I found several red flags. There is no information about who is behind the site, even the identity of the registrant is hidden in its domain name registration details. Additionally, it appears that the site's anonymous operator is asking for money up front.

All in all, it has several characteristics of an advance fee fraud.

David Marchant

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 12:11:58 PM

By: WFA

If you read the Overview you will notice that the FIBG is not one of the list we have posted:

In addition to fraud data our data bank contains High Risk Alerts to assist member financial institutions in complying with the 2001 US Patriot Act. WFA has added and continuously updates our data base with the names listed on the major sanction type list, including; DFAT, DPL, EPLS, FATF, OFAC, OFSI, PLC, RFL, SDGT, and SDN. The WFA data base also contains information from other list obtained from the Bank of England, The World Bank, The UN, Interpol, The FBI, The Department of Justice and countless sources; including anonymous Alerts from members.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 12:03:57 PM

I would hope that when you quote people in your news letter that you quote more accurate.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 6:32:58 AM

By: David S. Lesperance

I tried typing in the various names of the FIBG group and got nothing. Quite the database!

David S. Lesperance

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 5:44:03 AM

Thank you for your anonymous posting.

Re. "Evidently you do not read very well, there was no charge for your search. There is no where that ask for a fee ...."

I read very well. To quote from your anonymously-operated web-site which has an anonymously-registered domain name: "WFA provides free membership to the world's top 25 banks, their branches; as well as free me to all law enforcement agencies; select other business may apply for paid membership."

It makes no sense to limit access to such a miniscule group in terms of numbers as "the world's top 25 banks" (why not all banks or the top 500 or whatever?) and "law enforcement agencies" and then anonymously promote the site on this message board.

The broken English in the promotional spiel, the anonymous nature of the site, the invitation to apply for "paid membership" ... this site has red flags plastered all over it.

I suspect part of the reason for its existence is to gather information on applicants and users, either to solicit them or for other reasons.

No "top 25 bank" or "law enforcement agency" in its right mind would sign up for something as Mickey Mouse as this.

David Marchant

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 3:54:33 AM

Evidently you do not read very well, there was no charge for your search. There is no where that ask for a fee, membership is by invitation only, if a membership is approved there is an annual fee as in all memberships. Unless you are a bank, lending institution or law enforcement agency it is doubtful you will qualify for membership.However you are welcome to search to see if we have a file as it says on the web site. Files consist of many different types, from suspects, to high risk alerts, to actual fraud cases.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/25/2006 7:14:56 PM

By: Caroline Danforth Winsor

Caroline "barcan" Danforth Winsor's name comes up in that fraud alert database. That was interesting.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 2:54:53 PM

Re. "Dear Mr.David Merchant, the reason that our web site is anonymous is because not like you reporting on a few flakey scam artist, our postings contain thousands of terrrist from every corner of the world, and we have no interest in placing staff and relatives of staff in harms way."

Firstly, my name is Marchant, not Merchant. If this is typical of the quality and accuracy of your data, it is not an encouraging sign.

Secondly, if you think that your staff - if, in fact, you have any - are at risk because you are republishing lists produced by third-parties, then you are living in La La Land. Many companies republish lists such as OFAC without any problems whatsoever and, I would suggest, there is no reasonable expectation that there will be any problems.

Buying due diligence products is no different than buying, for example, an investment product. Transparency is a key consideration.

David Marchant

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 2:53:09 PM

Dear Mr. Lorenzo, I knew there were some people out there that did not believe everyone in the world was a scam artist. We do have several members from Germany. With over 3,000 terrorist names, many with their passport numbers and addresses, there are many people that would do our staff and their relatives great harm just to close us down.

Thanks again for your kind words.

WFA

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 2:49:12 PM

We will accept membership from 120 countries from around the world. Go to http://worldfraudalert.com and enter the REGISTER area, send a brief application and we will consider your application. Once your application is approved, you will be sent a full disclosure packet by pdf file, if at that time you wish to continue with your subscription you will be issued a password to enter the restricted access portion of our web site; here one of the final steps is pay for a one year subscription.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 2:45:31 PM

By: Lorenzo (Germany)

We also using for several of our domains a Private Registration.

At this day this is normal and a good way to avoid spam.

Lorenzo, Germany

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 2:42:43 PM

By: NO CANADIAN's

NO CANADIAN'S CAN SUBSCRIBE

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 1:20:44 PM

Dear Mr.David Merchant, the reason that our web site is anonymous is because not like you reporting on a few flakey scam artist, our postings contain thousands of terrrist from every corner of the world, and we have no interest in placing staff and relatives of staff in harms way. When you mention that the top 25 banks and their branches are miniscule; take for instance, UBS one such bank has over 50,000 branches world wide and combine that with the other 24 top banks the number of branches is astronomical. It would appear that anyone other than patting yourself on the back, you are out for the kill even when you do not have all the facts.
There are infact many good projects besides yours in this world.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 3:59:45 PM

I also noticed that you placed a reply concerning Ms. Windsor using our email address as a reply. Anyway I believe its the content of the message that is of importance.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 3:47:20 PM

The IP address for the person who posted as 'a003' is 65.41.213.143. This is the same IP address as for the person who posted as 'WFA'.

So what we have is this:

The World Fraud Alert person used a pseudonym (i.e. 'a003') to copy and paste a ridiculous press release (downloaded from this web-site, no less) issued by a now-defunct, unlicensed investment fund in Panama that was subject to a warning by the Panamanian Securities Commission and the World Fraud Alert person then pretended to be someone else and posted a reaction to his or her own posting(i.e. "AMAZING all I can say is WOW ing to be someone else").

Who in their right mind would rely on someone who is this childish and dishonest to take care of their due diligence needs?

David Marchant

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 3:29:06 PM

AMAZING all I can say is WOW

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 3:16:42 PM

By: a003

This is the html version of the file http://www.offshorebusiness.com/Documents/Press%20Package%20Marchant.pdf.
G o o g l e automatically generates html versions of documents as we crawl the web.
To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:Rlw1ncQIo2MJ:www.offshorebusiness.com/Documents/Press%2520Package%2520Marchant.pdf+David+Marchant&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=firefox-a

Google is neither affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
These search terms have been highlighted: david marchant
Page 1
T U L I P F U N D
P
RESS
R
ELEASE
Tulip Fund offers $100,000 reward for the arrest of David E. Marchant
On the 22nd of October this year, David Marchant, licenced private investigator and publisher of a newsletter called
“Offshore Alert” sent out an email alert that contained several factual errors, malicious misrepresentations and
blatant lies about The Tulip Fund. The Tulip Fund is a new private investment company that specializes in offshore
"ethical" or "socially responsible" investments. Our web site can be found at http://www.tulipfund.com.
Furthermore, Mr. Marchant, who holds himself out to be a journalist, announced that he would continue to publish
libelous articles about The Tulip Fund in his publication. Mr. Marchant also regularly writes a column for UPI under
the title "Funny Business". His web site can be found at http://www.offshorebusiness.com.
Though we don’t know what Mr. Marchant’s objections are against doing business according to ethical standards as
we seek to do, it is a well documented fact that he cherishes a strong personal dislike of our president Okke Ornstein,
himself a former journalist, and we believe this to be the true reason for the publication of false and misleading
information. In our opinion, this is just one of the many - also well documented - examples of the total absence of
any ethical or professional standards that Mr. Marchant shows in his “reporting”.
The Tulip Fund has decided not to wait for David Marchant’s further attempts to damage honest business. We have
every reason to believe that, besides being a malicious pseudo-journalist, Mr. Marchant is an illegal immigrant in the
United States, is being financed by one of our offshore competitors to attack other offshore businesses like ours, has
known arms traffickers with links to terrorism among his clients, works by his own admission as an informant for
various law enforcement organisations and is engaged in blackmail and extortion. It will come as no surprise that we
want him stopped.
Therefore, we have taken the unusual step tooffer a reward of $100,000, that is one hundred thousand US dollars, for
information leading to the arrest and conviction of Mr. Marchant in any applicable jurisdiction for crimes commit-
ted. We have prepaired an advertising campaign to bring this offer to the attention of the public. The advertisements
will be published in various international media outlets within the next weeks.
The advertisements are hereto attached for your reference.
Meanwhile, it is business as usual at the Tulip Fund. We will continue to make our ethical investments in order to
make profits and make this worlda nicer place.And we will stand firm against irresponsible attacks on our business.
We will be glad to answer any questions you may have by email: info@tulipfund.com.
The Tulip Fund
www.tulipfund.com
info@tulipfund.com
Page 2
W
ANTED FOR UNETHICALBEHAVIOUR
This man claims to be a journalist. He operates from Miami. In reality he is not a journal-
ist. He is a private detective, a writing mercenary, who is paid by one of our offshore
competitors to smear The Tulip Fund. Among his clients are a known terrorist and arms
trafficker. He got into the US by using the name of a dead person as a sponsor. He has put
hundreds of hard working people out of their jobs and ruined their lives, and is an accom-
plice of extortion, harassment and physical attacks on innocents. He has cost thousands of
investors billions of dollars. The US government has done nothing to stop him.
We are not going to accept that he publishes lies about us. We want him where he belongs.
In prison. This is why we are making an exceptional offer.
We will pay $100,000
for information leading to the arrest and conviction in any jurisdiction of David Marchant
for extortion, racketeering, immigration fraud or any other crime he has committed.
Meanwhile, our investors need not worry. Your, and our, money is safe. We will continue
to invest in ethical investment vehicles around the world to make profits and make this
world a nicer place. Preferably without Mr. Marchant.
“Tulip Fund” is a private investment fund for socially responsible investing.
Visit our web site at www.Tulipfund.com or send us an email at info@tulipfund.com.
Page 3
R
EALITY OR FICTION?
The man on the left is Monzer Al Kassar, an arms trafficker who has been connected to
numerous terrorist acts, such as the hijacking of the ship Achille Lauro and the attack on
the Israeli embassy in Argentina. On the right is David Marchant, a private detective who
publishes a newsletter from Miami. They shake hands. Reality? No. This photo is a trick. A
fake. But the relation between these two men is not. Kassar is one of Marchant’s clients.
You would think that the US government would be all over Marchant for his dealings with
terrorists. But the US government has done nothing. Instead, they continue to allow illegal
immigrant Marchant to destroy companies and the lives of employees on behalf of his
clients. Marchant has cost thousands of investors millions of dollars. And he is now attack-
ing the Tulip Fund.
We are not the US government, so we are not going to sit and wait for Mr. Marchant to
cause more damage. We offer $100,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction
of David Marchant in any jurisdiction.
Meanwhile, the Tulip Fund will continue to invest and make profits according to socially
responsible standards. Our money and that of our investors is safe. We’re offshore and tax
free. And we will not bow to terrorism.
Visit our web site at www.Tulipfund.com or send us an email at info@tulipfund.com.
Page 4
T
HE BANKER OF THE JACKAL
This is Peter Johansson, president of Bank Crozier. Johansson finances David Marchant.
Marchant is a private investigator who publishes a newsletter called “Offshore Alert” from
Miami. And he writes a monthly newsletter for Bank Crozier.
You will never read anything bad about Bank Crozier in Offshore Alert. Nothing about
cease and desist orders in Canada. Nothing about investigations into the bank by the au-
thorities from Grenada. Nothing about operating without any licence in Sweden. After all,
the dog never bites the hand that feeds him. Marchant has always refused to disclose who
financed his operations with, by his own statement, “several hundred thousands of dollars”.
But we know that Johansson is one of them. Fed by Bank Crozier, Marchant sets out to
destroy the competition. He will gladly take a known arms trafficker and terrorist as a
client. He happily engages in extortion and fraud. He creates his own news, instead of
reporting it. He has put hundreds of people out of their jobs and caused thousands of
investors to lose billions of dollars. He is currently publishing malicious lies about The
Tulip Fund. And Johansson wires him his fee.
The whole set-up reminds us of the days that American Express hired mercenary journal-
ists like Susan Cantor to destroy Edmond Safra’s financial imperium. But American Ex-
press did not get away with it, and neither will Bank Crozier and David Marchant.
The Tulip Fund, being an ethical investment company, is not going to tolerate being un-
fairly attacked by rogue bankers and their hitmen. Therefore, we offer $100,000 for infor-
mation leading to the arrest and conviction of David Marchant in any jurisdiction.
Meanwhile, the Tulip Fund continues to invest and make profits according to socially
responsible standards. Our money and that of our investors is safe. We’re offshore and tax
free. And we will be happy to wire the reward to your account with Bank Crozier.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 3:07:46 PM

Dear Mr.David Marchant I apologize for the typo error of the spelling of your last name. Your comments have been noted, with thanks. However not all people have the same intentions. I can assure you that ours are 100% honest, it is good that everyone does not agree with everyone on every subject, however it is not Honest to throw stones without consideration. Many peple have many different views of many different things, not everyone believes in a perfect world. One thing for sure is that you have the choice of being transparent or restricted.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 8:51:31 PM

David Had you typed in the words First International Bank of Granada rather than FIBG you would have found a lot of files.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 5:34:04 PM

For those that dont know about OKKE ORNSTEIN:
The fugitive who would be king
American, wanted for fraud,
runs noni land scheme in Panama

by Okke Ornstein

A noni is not always a noni. It may look like a noni. It may even smell like a noni. But as long as it doesn't taste like a noni or break like a noni, it certainly is not a noni.

The same applies to investments. Who wouldn't like to retire to his own Caribbean beachfront paradise? Build his dream house next to the marina and make lots of tax-free money with medicinal fruit in the process? Sounds like a perfect deal, right? Well, not quite. Because it may look like a good deal and even smell like a good deal, but as long as it doesn't taste like a good deal nor breaks like a good deal, it is simply not a good deal.

It started with an email. An Irishman wrote me that he wanted to discuss investing in Panama with me. The next day, I showed up at the hotel where he was staying, and it turned out he was not alone but had brought a friend, an older man who walked with a stick. We sat down and ordered coffee. Within minutes, I was listening to one of the wildest stories I had heard for quite some time. The two gentlemen, who were from the US, weren't looking for investment opportunities. They had been chasing a man, a man who had defrauded them of about a million dollars three years back in Costa Rica. He had sold them "sugar bonds" and other investment vehicles that later turned out not to exist. "We were the typical bushy-tailed, bright-eyed, innocent and naive Americans that fell for his enthusiasm and smart sales talk," one of the gentlemen explained. "He told us how he was going to make us rich, 'you sign the check and let me do the rest,' and we believed him."

The man, Ian Calvert Bleasdale, did not make his clients rich however. He took the money and ran. He ran away from fraud charges brought against him and child sex abuse charges filed by his wife. Child sex abuse had been like a red line throughout his career of fraud and embezzlement. The two victims that I was now listening to in the lobby of this hotel had decided not to let him get away with it. They tracked him down through Mexico and Brazil, and finally found him in Panama. "He continued his pedophile activities here and frequented parties of Madam Tonya. That's how we found him; through one of the girls that worked for her." It took several weeks before they were able to make a positive identification. When they had, Bleasdale one morning showed up at his work and was suddenly grabbed by the two victims. "He started to fight, that's why I'm now walking with a stick," said the oldest man. The fighting and screaming caused an uproar in the classy neighborhood, and soon the police arrived at the scene. They were shown the arrest warrants and Interpol documents by my two new friends and Bleasdale was arrested and deported to Costa Rica the next day.

"Where did you find him?" I asked.

"He worked for a company called San Cristobal," the youngest man replied, "he was their sales director. He didn't use his own name, in Panama he was Ian Calvert."

I remembered him. I met this Calvert once at a party, and he struck me as an overly enthusiast Bruit who was going on and on about how he could make me and everybody else rich with noni farms he was selling. "You just lean back and let us do the work," he proclaimed. He even invited me for lunch to discuss how he "could set me up in this paradise called Panama." I thought he was crazy and never went to have lunch with him. And now I was sitting here with two men that had simply picked him up from the street and handed him to the police.

But how could a wanted fugitive be working for a company under a fake name, when he wasn't even able to renew his passport? What was this company called San Cristobal, and who were its principals? Intrigued by everything I heard, I started to investigate.

Founder of San Cristobal is a Tom McMurrain, a US citizen who came to Panama a couple of years ago. The biography that is sent out to clients portrays him as a businessman with a "successful track record" of corporate glory. The bio further boasts that his "several start-up enterprises and cutting-edge concepts and marketing strategies have consistently been proven money makers over time."

San Cristobal offers its clients an investment opportunity to feast upon. For prices ranging from $71,000 to $126,000, they sell you beachfront land in Bocas del Toro. They plant 50 percent of the land with tropical hardwood trees, mainly teak, and the other 50 percent with noni. The hardwood is cut and sold after 20 to 25 years. In the meantime, the noni generates residual income, tax free, because noni is a hot product that sells for good prices. Being a reforestation investment, investors can get residency in Panama. A variety of real estate websites promotes the investment to the public. Prospective investors visit Panama on organized tours and sign a purchase contract one after the other. "The best retirement investment I've seen in 20 years!" exclaims one advertorial on one of these sites. And it indeed looks like a good deal. It even smells like a good deal --- until you look a little further.

"You're looking into San Cristobal? Be careful with these people," says a lawyer who wishes to remain anonymous. "I don't even want to represent clients that invest with them."

"Tom McMurrain? He really should be stopped and arrested," says a hotel manager who wishes to remain anonymous. "He stole a lot of money from a lot of people."

"It's not that he stole those millions, it's how he did it and the fact that he got away with it," says a victim of McMurrain who lost over a million dollars. "He pretended to be a friend, we invited him in our homes. He appears bright, smart, great ideas, fun to be with. And then he took the money and ran."

"It was one of the most painful periods of my life. I'd rather not think about it any more," says his former bookkeeper. "He let me take the fall for his crimes."

"Tom McMurrain. Ask around about Magna Societal here in Panama. I can't tell you anything further," writes somebody to me, anonymously.

Prince Noni and the Principality of Magna

So I went to ask around. It quickly became clear that San Cristobal was not the beginning of Tom McMurrain's "successful track record" in Panama. I found two promotional emails for an investment MLM type scheme called "Magna Societal." Tom McMurrain, as it becomes clear from the promotion, came to Panama with a dream. He wanted to buy an island. He wanted to declare independence. He was the man that would be king. Or prince, because the independent island would be called the "Principality of Magna," and it would be a haven for Internet offshore banking as it would be founded "on top of several Internet backbones," it would have "virtual residence" and loads of money making time share opportunities. "The Benefits of Magna: No Debt, No Taxes, No Trade Restrictions, No Restrictions of God Given Human Rights... No Limits!," says one promotional email, in which Magna also claims to have more than 1,000 "web fluent members" and pays $500 to everyone bringing a new member in. "Members are able to participate in a tremendous income opportunity and will have the option in the future to purchase virtual residences with time-share options or own actual physical homes complete with residency status," reads the email, before it enters into the mysterious phrase "We are building a physical and virtual community on the natural resources of ones and zeros."

"It just went away," says one source who did some business with McMurrain in his first year in Panama, "but a lot of people put money in it and of course never saw it back."

The Internet domains that were used for Magna Societal are all registered in the name of Tom McMurrain. When he started San Cristobal, the email domains and servers where the same, just like the toll- free US phone number that San Cristobal uses. Magna was gone, but McMurrain's dream of running his own fiefdom had not lost its spirit, and he now set out to take over Bocas del Toro.

Tom McMurrain and his noni gangsters

Everybody I talked to who had met McMurrain at one point mentioned his goons.

McMurrain, settling down in Bocas del Toro, hired some local toughs who act as his bodyguards, steer his boat, and show prospects around. When stories began to reach me about McMurrain and his gang selling cocaine, I decided to look further into his team. And some private army it turned out to be.

Prospective investors are being handled by, according to documents obtained from the police in Bocas del Toro, known criminals like Aurelio Pomares, alias "Fats," whom the police allege has been involved in cases of counterfeiting, threatening with firearms and drug dealing; Jim Smith Yessy, alias "Yimi", another alleged drug dealer; Alex Hansell, alias "Bobon," and other characters who go by names like"Big Yans" and "Mollo".

They're all hired by a McMurrain company called "Patrulla Angel" (Angel Patrol), which purports to be a private security outfit. They drive around in a Land Rover with dark windows, providing them with cover and mobility to realize sales of drugs, the police report alleges. "We're scared of them," say many Bocas inhabitants and entrepreneurs.

Rumpelstiltskin

Soon after I started my inquiries into San Cristobal, a mysterious source entered the scene, whom we'll call Rumpelstiltskin. Like his counterpart in the famous fairy tale, Rumpelstiltskin operated hidden away, being able to see all but not to be seen, like a fly on the wall, a hidden camera behind a mirror. And Rumpelstiltskin began to give me stuff. Emails and documents, print-outs, discs, messages, and lots of it. Genuine inside material from San Cristobal, that painted a devastating picture about the way the company is run, how clients are routinely lied to, how money disappears and clients have difficulty to get their deposits back, the messy situation with land titles and the clearing and planting of the sold properties, and so forth. While my hard disc and desk drawers began to fill up, I plowed through the enormous amount of material.

Your title is in the mail!

The innocent people that buy into the San Cristobal scheme are promised land titles for their property. They need a title, because without a title, the reforestation will not be recognized with a reforestation certificate and investors can not apply for residency or tax benefits. San Cristobal is very creative in their terminology where it comes to land titles. One email send out to prospective clients talks about "free-titled waterfront land," whereas an other one mentions that investors will receive a "Free simple title to your property titled to the corporation (or any name that you desire)."

However, the land that San Cristobal sells is so-called "right of possession" land. It is possible to get titles on it, but it's not guaranteed, and it can be a slow process. How San Cristobal can promise their investors reforestation certificates and to handle all the residency paperwork without a guaranteed title remains unclear. Why the land was not titled before selling it on to investors is another question that has so far not been answered. This doesn't stop San Cristobal from making promise after promise to its clients. "We sent some three titled land plantations out today, just missing the internal lines by the surveyors, which also are then registered. Will ask Barry for time on your land for title," writes San Cristobal to a worried client, "We are working hard for you." But not hard enough, apparently, because almost two months later, the client still has no title to his property. It''s just of many examples. "Keep smiling," is the advice that San Cristobal ends one of these emails with.

Contrary to the promises made to investors, internally the people of San Cristobal are well aware of the true situation with the land titles. "There are no titles, and you know it," writes Barry Miller, one of the principals and a US lawyer, to one of the sales people. It does not have any effect: the promises continue. Writes one desperate investor: "At the moment, from the point of view of my assets, I have $106,000 missing from my cash and no piece of paper to say that I own something in return!"

Another angry investor loses his patience and writes: "I have requested a map of the property set aside for us several times and have received nothing. After five months, "surely" the surveying in that area has been done and you can show us on paper what we have purchased. (Correction: what we are "trying" to purchase.) We will need to have some kind of map in order to close."

The only land title I have seen so far is a document that titles 30 hectares in the name of San Cristobal. The document was obtained in April and was quickly sent to a client that wanted money back because the promises had not been met.

But investors, according to San Cristobal, need not worry. In an email full of mumbo jumbo about how these investments are going to prosper and noni is THE future crop to make cash, Tom McMurrain, after having made clear that he needs the outstanding balance to be paid, concludes: "M, everyday I wake up I move with a goal to get your principal back to you within three to five years. I have a lot of horsepower behind what you are investing in. I am sure you will appreciate it when the time comes."

Your property, a garden paradise!

A similar chaotic situation exists in the clearing and planting of the properties. Yet again, the correspondence with clients shows a pattern of dubious claims as to the status of their property. Clients want to see pictures of their property planted with noni and teak, and get replies like "I thought Tom had sent you both an update and your pictures. He is in Bocas today, will check with him and you will have both. I saw the pictures, just beautiful, like a garden paradise. Relax stay tuned, am on top of it for you," and again, months later, there are still no pictures, nothing that proves San Cristobal's claim that "all plantations are fully cleared and planted within three months of full payment received."

The clearing is a whole story in itself. A lot of hectares that have been acquired by San Cristobal consist of deserted cacao plantations. Cacao grows on trees. After having been abandoned many years ago, the plantations have become a forest. This cacao trees are now being cut by San Cristobal to plant hardwood trees. Cutting forest to reforest is an environmental crime in Panama, but ANAM so far has not intervened. "They're clearing the land with chainsaws," says one witness from Bocas del Toro.

"How can investors ever get a reforestation certificate based on this?," I ask a lawyer. "They can't," is his reply, "ANAM will never approve of these practices."

Money grows on trees!

Other San Cristobal literature talks about "our reforestation experts," and their advertorials claim that a teak tree values about $2,500 and this will increase with 6 percent annually. The "reforestation experts," who are not named on the website nor anywhere else, don't appear to be very knowledgeable about teak trees. "A cubic meter of old plantation teak at the moment values about $800," say the experts of Futuro Forestal, one of the highest regarded reforestation companies in Latin America. "If, and only if a 25-year-old tree has a volume of a cubic meter, it will probably bring $2,500 after 30 to 40 years, and then this six percent is already incorporated in that amount, so they are just telling investors pure nonsense." The whole issue of the current and future value of teak trees appears academical anyway, because Futuro Forestal continues: "planting teak in Bocas is a bad idea. To become dense, hardwood needs a real dry season, and in Bocas it simply rains too much. Another problem is fungi that attack the roots, and can cause the trees to fall down when they're 10 to 12 years old because the roots can't support them."

Well, that would at least save investors the cost of cutting their trees, something else San Cristobal forgets to calculate. Various sources in Bocas confirm that the local teak is of poor quality. "It just cracks from the inside," says a woman who worked in the timber industry in the US, "and it rots away within three years, while teak is supposed to last forever."

San Cristobal knows that teak won't grow well in Bocas, but they're planting it anyway. "You are right in the fact that the climate in Bocas del Toro is tropical wet climate all year round, and maybe not be the perfect one for teak," writes San Cristobal to an inquiring client. However, they continue, "we have a five year old teak farm in the area as a referral and this Teak is of good quality." But, according to the Futuro Forestal experts, five years is far too early to judge the quality of trees that are only cut fifteen years later at the earliest. Another example of the San Cristobal "experts'" amateurishness is their claim that "another fact is that the terrain we use has slopes so the drainage is very good and a surplus of rainfall does not do damage to the Teak." Drainage is the ability of the soil to absorb water, and has nothing to do with slopes. "It shows you they have no idea what they're doing at San Cristobal," says Futuro Forestal, "teak is a high erosion species, up to 80 tons per hectare may wash away if you plant teak on slopes. The soil washes into the sea where it causes damage to the coral reefs. The trees will stop growing after 15 years because they don't have any food left. To invest in this you must have no forestry knowledge and be stupid enough not to ask someone who has."

The agricultural horror doesn't stop with the teak. The noni harvest and sales is another subject that is eagerly used by San Cristobal to lure investors into parting with their money. Emails talk about an "emerging holistic cash crop" and prices are quoted for which the investors' nonis are sold ranging from 20¢ to $1.50 per pound. A short visit to the Machetazo reveals that investors would be far better off buying nonis there and reselling them to San Cristobal for the high prices they quote. McMurrain, in one email to a US attorney, states that "we are currently selling about 6,000 pounds a week at about 50¢ per pound. We expect a higher price when we can sign a contract with a bigger company." However, in the same month, January of this year, Tom Rowley, the company accountant, in another email, refers to noni being sold at 20¢ per pound. The reality is that nobody at San Cristobal knows what noni is really worth. At the end of January, Tom Rowley writes that the Bocas noni still needs to be tested for export purposes, while the whole company seems to be struggling with how to send just one gallon of sample noni juice to the US.

Your funds are safe with us!

"We provide a complete escrow sales process utilizing a 30 year bar licensed US Attorney that ensures that you get exactly what you pay for," writes San Cristobal proudly in yet another email to a possible investor. Again, this is a misrepresentation. Escrow, by definition, is an arrangement in which funds are held with an escrow agent who is independent from two parties doing business. The money is released only if preset conditions have been met. In the US, there are rules for lawyers acting as escrow agents. In Panama, you need a trust license. On the 20th of February 2002, two companies were set up in Panama: "San Cristobal Land Management" and "Republic Escrow Services". Both have the same board of directors, the same subscribers, the same registered agent --- everything was the same. They are what you would call sister companies. However, Republic acts as escrow agent for San Cristobal. What's more, clients putting money in escrow with the 30-year bar-licensed US attorney, one Michael Pierce, are asked to wire the money to this gentleman's bank account in Panama. The whole set-up --- no license, no independence from one party to the business deals --- is a disaster waiting to happen, and, reading through the material Rumpelstiltskin sent me, it seems that disaster has happened.

Michael Pierce accepts funds from a client. When the pre-agreed conditions have not been met, the client wants his money back. This, however, is a problem. The money is no longer there. It's gone, spent on who knows what. But Pierce has a problem because the client starts to get angry. He threatens to file a complaint with the bar association. "This could destroy my career!" writes a panicky Michael Pierce. "Please give me some more time."

Pierce turns to San Cristobal for help. He tells them he tried to sell his shipping container with liquor, which is worth $45,000, but he has not found a buyer yet. He promises to do anything if they will just help him save his career. They can have his domain Latinlaw.com, he'll bring clients, whatever, but just advance the $6,000 this client is owed. It's a disaster that needs to be "headed off," agrees Barry Miller, principal and lawyer for San Cristobal. Apparently, something is worked out and after many months of waiting, the client finally gets his money back.

"We own the fucking cookie jar! "

One of the most shocking documents I received was an internal memo of Tom McMurrain to his colleagues about a fund San Cristobal has set up to raise money under the pretext of financing land acquisition. In reality, according to McMurrain's memo, the fund needs to raise money to save San Cristobal from collapse. Maybe some people believe that acquisition of land is a major operation cost for a company like San Cristobal. It's not.

They're currently developing in Palmira, which is close to the San Blas in Panama on the Caribbean coast. If you check in the area which is closest to Palmira but still accessible by car, a place called Cuango, you'll find a hectare doing between $650 and $900, and that's beachfront. So, with normal operating costs and even allowing for expensive clearing and planting, there should be enough money available to buy new land.

The fund, it becomes clear in the document, is in reality not about raising money to buy land, it's about raising money to keep SCLD afloat and its principals comfortable. SCLD should come first, according to McMurrain, because it is "our bread and butter." He also orders to pump up cost and fees, because investors have no idea anyway about the real figures: "Do produce a document that shows a higher level of fees because none of our customers have ever done what we are doing therefore we are foolish to assume they are intimate with our expenses," he writes. He compares buying and clearing and planting land in Panama with prices in Georgia: "We should justify a higher cost simply by getting a higher appraisal from an "ethical" Panamanian property appraiser, WE MUST REMEMBER THAT IN GEORGIA PLANTATION LAND IS MINIMUM $1,000 and Acre... by the way planting and clearing cost are greater than 700 per acre in Georgia as well. Do not ASSUME that a client knows our true expenses... and even if we get challenged we can blow the acquisition out of the water simply by stating the obvious comparatives," writes McMurrain. He is worried about the vacations, the boats and other goodies that SCLD has provided them with, as he types: "It is important that this fund save SCLD from collapse. SCLD has bought cars, boats, property, a good holiday, some vacation time, some home buying (and saving) opportunities and some good entertainment and good meals."

McMurrain wants to be in full control of the money, because, as he puts it: "We own the fucking cookie jar!" What he proposes is in fact a swindle to raise money under false pretenses, siphon it out of the fund and out of shareholder's reach and use the money for purposes other than those investors are led to believe.

McMurrain owning the cookie jar is consistent with prosecutors' allegations about his "successful track record" in the United States. The only difference, it seems, is that he has yet to run with the money.

But at this point in my investigation, I wasn't aware of that. I needed to find out more about McMurrain.

Looking into McMurrain's background and history quickly landed me in the middle of a war with San Cristobal's principals.

The noni tubbies

To get people to feed me with more information, I decided to post some of my findings about San Cristobal on a message board on the Internet, and this immediately caught the attention of clients, prospects, business relations and San Cristobal itself. While some people contacted me with their stories, San Cristobal set out to start its own campaign. Their first move was that Tom Lennon, one of the principals and a friend of Tom McMurrain, contacted me posing as a prospect that was now worried about the investment he was about to make. Pretending to be a Mr. Finlay, he wondered what information I had for him? Quickly, and with help from Rumpelstiltskin, I found out that "Mr. Finlay" was forwarding all our correspondence to San Cristobal's directors. When he accidentally signed with his own initials, "TPL," I knew immediately that it was in reality Tom Lennon. I wrote him this, asking if this was his idea of a PR strategy, and he replied by threatening me, while at the same time asking me not to publish any of those threats on a message board. I published it immediately, and this lead quickly to another battle with San Cristobal. Tom Lennon proceeded to buy the domain name "OkkeOrnstein.com" and posted a lot of nonsense about me under other pen names. Barry Miller, the San Cristobal attorney, threatened to sue me if I continued to publish on the Internet, and told me he would eat me in court.

Meanwhile, some of the business associates of San Cristobal began to distance themselves from the wonderful world of noni and teak. Lyle Burke, the principal of the Tropical Pathways real estate firm, wrote that "I have reached a point where I can no longer support and defend your project in the face of such a hostile environment on the ground in Panama --- I have tried several options in an attempt to minimize exposure to the negative aspects, particularly in Bocas. I keep hearing and having to defend the same issues repeatedly and no longer feel that I can so."

Tom McMurrain, forwarding the message to his colleagues, comments that "I am imagining that the professionals that Lyle has surrounded himself with have paid him at least $25,000 each? He just lost his bread and butter. When he comes back crawling I believe his commission will be greatly reduced. HE CAN"T STAND THE HEAT."

Another good example of the nice way San Cristobal treats its resellers is the way they discuss payment of a commission to Saskia Delic, a Dutch woman who runs a real estate company called Happywhale.com. In an email to Tom McMurrain discussing payments that need to be made, Tom Rowley, the company accountant, asks how they can stall this payment: "and now Saskia is DEMANDING immediate payment of $15,000 commission she says you promised her would be paid on April first. She's being pissy about even waiting for the three days to transfer our money to BN etc. as per the emails back and forth which I've copied to you. Which legitimate bills which are due and payable do you suggest I defer to pay this commission? And what about the charges at the Swans Cay hotel for her, which I haven't seen yet, are they part of her commission or just a gift?" At the time of this story going to press, the commission still had not been paid.

A Dutch company, the "Morinda Investment Group" that was in the advanced stages of setting up a business deal with San Cristobal, backed away from San Cristobal stating that "The lack of a track record for SCLM combined with our concerns on the capabilities of SCLM make that we are not able to accept SCLM as the plantation management company" and: "We also have concerns on the performance of SCLD. These concerns are partly based on the feedback from Dutch investors who visited Bocas recently and on rumors we heard about SCLD and SCLD staff."

As the principals of San Cristobal learned that this and more information was somehow reaching me and their noni principality was showing cracks, they intensified their efforts to shut me up. "While you've been busy talking to our Dutch friends, who aren't yet very forthcoming about their contacts with you, I've been busy with our Panamanian lawyers, who are chock-full of information," writes a frustrated Barry Miller after I posted a message about the Morinda Group moving away from San Cristobal. He then announces a lawsuit against me, and after another message on the message board he notes: "Blah, blah, blah... I've read it all BEFORE, you little asshole!"

I started to get a little worried about where all this would go. Threats, possible lawsuits, this McMurrain and his drug dealing gangsters, principals posing as clients and others --- what was this crazy world of the noni tubbies that I had landed into?

It was at the height of this war that Rumpelstiltskin came to the rescue. "Don't worry about anything," the mysterious source told me, "you're holding all the cards, you just don't know it yet."

And then Rumpelstiltskin showed me the cards I had been holding all this time. Two cards showed arrest warrants for Tom McMurrain from Fulton County, Atlanta, numbers 155027MC and 155028MC for "theft by conversion." The others showed some court documents regarding two civil and one criminal suit under the RICO act against McMurrain. Another one showed how his wife filed for bankruptcy. More documents showed the promissory notes McMurrain issued to raise money in the US, offering interest rates of up to 30 percent per year, and a letter he sent out when he couldn't pay any more, claiming he had built a "winning company" despite his failure, and threatening investors not to run to the SEC.

"Tom McMurrain is a con man, a fraud artist, and a fugitive from US justice. Don't use that information yet. Let them come after you, and they'll walk right into the trap," said Rumpelstiltskin.

I could not sleep that night. What I knew now was enough to blow up San Cristobal, but did I really want to do that? Investors would lose their investments. And I was not looking for scalps, for journalistic trophies to hang on my wall like some of my colleagues. I would prefer a solution in which at least investors would be safe, even though they had been foolish to invest with this outfit in the first place. "Don't count on investors for help," said Rumpelstiltskin, "even when they know they made a mistake, you are bursting their bubble, the dream. They want to continue to believe that their investment is gonna work for them. You will not be their hero if you reveal the truth."

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 5:14:49 PM

Whew, that was fast and furious! David, please leave this entire thread up so that potential "subscribers" can read it and make their own assessment as to the value or credibility of "WorldFraudAlert.com". I especially love the fake posting recycling the Okke Ornstein website. As the old saying goes, "Give em enough rope...."

As for David being afraid of some competition, his actions don't seem to indicate any fear. He seems quite willing to mention other due dilligence firms such as Kroll or Navigant, who provide quality services (its scam artists and silly half-assed wannabes that draw his ire). I use these firms all of the time. They are expensive but useful for extensive searches on a particular individual or firm. David's newsletter and forum also have their uses. Not the least of which is watching antics such as this one.

David S. Lesperance
Barrister and Solicitor

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 4:50:14 PM

I thought it quite interesting that you are taling about the accuracy of our data bank when infact your won words shadow the accuracy of your message board which in itself speaks for itself:

We wish to draw visitors' attention to the fact that most messages posted on Internet forums are done so anonymously and, as such, have limited value. Information should not be treated as fact unless otherwise substantiated.

It is also worth pointing out that Internet message boards are often used by crooks to solicit their next victim and/or confuse existing victims by exposing them to false and/or misleading information.

These statements posted on your message board indicates you place little value on few messages posted here. So give us a break, take a deep breath and relax.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 4:36:44 PM

The accuracy of our data base, like all other data bases including your own is based on the information provided by others, including yours. The different is we do not profess to be a God or some perfect being in a difficult world. Regardless of your hate intentions, we are both here fighting fraud in our own way this should not be a fight between us unless you are afraid of a little competition which is silly because we do not provide the same service; and yes our data is provided by others. Our High Risk list are available from many sources, however the difference is rather than scan through dozens of list and many pages a member simply types in a name and our data base searches all the major list, which is a time saving tool for members.
Have a great day.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/26/2006 4:24:07 PM

Re. "I also noticed that you placed a reply concerning Ms. Windsor using our email address as a reply."

All of the postings I make are in my own name. I did not make the posting that you referred to and you have access to no information indicating that I did.

You simply guessed - incorrectly, I might add - that I made this posting, which, again, does not instil confidence in the accuracy of your database.

David Marchant

Anonymous

Posted: 6/27/2006 1:08:43 PM

I believe the connection is through Van Brink but would have to go back and read the complete file.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/27/2006 12:31:08 PM

To the best of my knowledge, Eric Resteiner has no connection to the First International Bank of Grenada, although he certainly has a connection to Grenada.

David Marchant

Anonymous

Posted: 6/27/2006 11:20:08 AM

You should be able to type in the below FBIC names. I would have to go back and read the entire file again to determine if we missed any of the defendants in the FIBG case:

Eric Resteiner
Gilbert Allen Ziegler
Miles E Resteiner
Van Arthur Brink
Miles M Harbur

You must put the first and middle Initial in the First Name Box and the Last Name in the Last Name Box.

The city and Country are included in the individual files as well as each pdf file.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/27/2006 10:53:08 AM

By: Lux

FYI, Granada is a town in Spain AND and also and island/state. In spanish of course.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/27/2006 8:35:36 AM

As I said in my message, I typed in the names of the various indicted principals, not FIBG. A credible database would have listed both. BTW, Granada is a city in Spain, Grenada is a country. It was the First International Bank of GRENADA.

David S. Lesperance
Barrister and Solicitor

Anonymous

Posted: 7/10/2006 12:24:24 PM

By: Thank you for the entertainment

I just want to thank WFA for some of the most entertaining postings I've seen here in a long time.

Obviously the database is similar to many novels; "Fiction" but based on "real events" ...which may have occured.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/27/2006 8:48:51 PM

So lets do a quick summary for those individuals who are trying to decide on whether to spend the time, disclose the personal information and eventually pay to use WorldFraudAlert.com ("WFA")for their due dilligence needs instead of subscribing to Offshore Alert or hiring a large international due dilligence firm such as Kroll or Navigant.

-WFA has a poorly done, spelling and grammar mistake laden useless website vs. the current slick professional useful sites of the other firms;

-WFA does not list its principals, ownership, qualifications, location or even its website ownership, citing "personal security". The other firms proudly display all of this information as they understand that they must sell their credibility to a discerning group of consumers. Indeed some of them go so far as to include all of the financial information required as publically listed companies;

-WFA decides to advertise its services by posting on another firm's message forum. The other firms publish newsletters, and are prominent enough to be regularly talked about and quoted in the international press.

-When challenged WFA responds by having a representative with poor english and typing skills post irrelevant jibberish, childish transparent attempts at slander, posting under other names to apparently lend support to lame explanations and otherwise make fools of themselves;

-When I note that I found no listings when I typed in the names of a few of the individuals indicted in the FIBG scandal, the WFA responds by first saying they don't have anything on FIBG (Despite it being one of the largest frauds in recent years); then saying opps yes we do have some information and asking me to type in First International Bank of GRANADA; then having me type in some other names, some of which dealt with Grenada but not with FIBG and one of whom is dead (tough to continue being a conman when you're six feet under!)

Since the usefulness of this website appears to be nil, David Marchant rightly muses that it could be used as an advance fee fraud or a 419-like attempt to get personal information or an attempt to build a "sucker's list" for future solicitations for bogus asset recovery groups (Anyone remember Matrix Investigations?). In response, the anon WFA poster states, "trust me" (Just like every scammer says).

As I know with a fair degree of certainty that the WFA person will post in response, I will say two final things in advance:

1) Just because you talk last or loudest, doesn't mean you won the debate;

2) As Joe Friday used to say in Dragnet, "You can go home now folks, nothing more to see here". IOW I won't be responding again.

David S. Lesperance
Barrister and Solicitor

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.