OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Jonathan Curshen aka Diploamt & Fraudster
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 10/9/2008 12:08:27 PM

By: Ex-Curshen Employee Speaks

Jonathan is the owner of Red Sea Management in Costa Rica (www.readseamanagement.com) located at the Edificio Colon, 8th floor, in Paseo Colon, San Jose. He has also been involved with other interesting services and shemes such as ExactPay and the First Curacao International Bank associated with TransWorld and Andres O. Hayes all which was managed by Lucia Shum and her husband for Curshen. In doing some basic research the "consulate" was never fully recognized in Costa Rica and they were never provided an official police officer to provide security and Curshen boasted that the could not have his office seized nor searched claiming to be consul and charged more to his clients for the services they requested based on his claim. Note that he did however disclose to several of his employees (including myself) that he paid over US$250,000 as a bribe to the St. K&N government in order to obtain the position and passport. The only "protection" Curshen was given while in Costa Rica was that of the Rabbi Gershon Miletski of the Orthodox Synagogue (who pockets US$16,000 a month - more than the President of Costa Rica and happens to use Curshen's services in order to save a buck). Due to the connections of the famed hard core and hard nosed Rabbi and several government officials who are members of the Zionist Israelite Center of Costa Rica (Centro Israelita Sionista de Costa Rica)community as well. It also seems that there has been quite a bit of under the table trading on the Costa Rica stock exchange managed by the same "religious group". I would like to see Costa Rica actually take a stand and clean up some of this trash, fraud, and money laundering but their fear of the Orthodox Jewish Community and their alleged power and hold over the local economy is much greater than the well being of a country. Currently they are using Costa Rica as a pass through for money laundering which is allowed by the government as they have obtained the status of untouchable while degrading the Reform and Hasidic Jews and laughing at the "stupid goys" as they refer to the locals.

Here is the information posted on Curshen which does leave out the fact that he is the owner and operator of Red Sea Management for some odd reason.

http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/news-11224--35-35--.html

MIAMI, USA: An offshore services provider who serves as the Honorary Consul for St. Kitts & Nevis in Costa Rica has been accused of securities fraud in the United States, Miami-based financial newsletter Offshore Alert reports.

Jonathan Randall Curshen, a dual citizen of the United Kingdom and the US, who appears to reside in both Costa Rica and Sarasota, Florida, was arrested in New York after a criminal complaint alleging conspiracy to commit securities fraud was filed against him and a business associate, Bruce Grossman, in Florida on September 4, 2008.

According to Offshore Alert, Curshen and Grossman have been accused of participating in a scheme to manipulate the common stock of Pink Sheets-listed Industrial Biotechnology Corp. by bribing registered representatives to buy IBOT shares in customer accounts over which the registered representatives had trading discretion.

Curshen serves in an unpaid capacity as the Honorary Consul to Costa Rica for the federation of St Kitts and Nevis, an appointment which became effective on July 1, 2004, according to a news service in Costa Rica, Offshore Alert reports.

Notwithstanding his arrest, Curshen is still listed as Honorary Consul on the website of the St Kitts and Nevis Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The one-page website he set up for the Consulate at www.skn.co.cr is also still operational.

A press release dated June 9, 2005 to announce the official opening of the Consul General's Office in San Jose on June 22, 2005 can be viewed here on www.cuopm.com, which is the official website for St Kitts and Nevis Prime Minister Denzil Douglas.

Curshen was quoted in the release as saying: "My role is to facilitate and develop relations – both public and private – in the Central American and Latin American region with my focus being in Costa Rica, which is where the Honorary Consulate is based."

Anonymous

Posted: 10/12/2008 4:36:10 PM

By: Ex Curshen Employee Speaks

His office was open as of Friday, October 10, 2008. In many cases the US will request assistance from the Costa Rica government and 99.9% of the time this will be granted. In this particular case there is a "higher power" here and it is not backed by something supernatural but rather a monetary power. I am more than sure that the orthodox community here will twist President Arias' arm to get what they want as they have done this time and time again and if you even take a close look rumor has it that there is a Rabbi from Argentina escaping fruad charges who has resided here untouched for almost 10 years.

Ther Costa Rican News Paper "La Nacion" exclaims that Curshen fell into a trap. You can find the link here:

http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2008/septiembre/24/sucesos1712517.html

Here is a BabelFish translation. I am sorry but I cannot spend the time to check this or translate the entire thing.

Consul of Caribbean island in the country falls in trap of the FBI He would have tried to bribe official who appeared like stockbroker Caribbean diplomat holds the position from 1.° of July of the 2004 Otto Vargas M.y Ronald Moya | ovargas@nacion.com The honorary consul of the Caribbean nation of San Cristóbal and Nieves in Costa Rica, Jonathan R. Curshen, was free on bail in EE. UU. after falling in the trap that tended an agent to him of the Federal Bureau of Investigación (FBI). Curshen, stock-exchange promotional recognizing, was arrested the 4 of September like suspect of the crime of fraud with values, cause that is transacted in the Court of the South district of New York. The denunciation in his against - that also includes its partner Brushes L. Grossman- was presented/displayed the 10 of September by the Commission of Values and Change (ESA, by its abbreviations in English). They accuse it to bribe a concealed agent of the FBI, that appeared like representative of a group of stockbrokers prepared to buy action with money of their clients. The preliminary accusation details that the suspects offered to the official, whose condition did not know, a 25% “like bribe” if he participated in the business. Thus, Grossman and Curshen would sell the values to price of their convenience. “Between the 27 of June and the 2 of July of the 2008, in response to the illicit adjustment, the indicated ones (Curshen and Grossman) instructed individual A (the official of the FBI) so that it bought action of IBot (Biotechnology Industrialist). “(...) they gave instructions him about the amount, the price and the term (of the actions)”, indicated in the denunciation Todd D. Broddy, civil servant of the ESA The document, del that the Nation has copy, maintains that the false stockbroker bought - with instructions of suspects $76,000 in action of the IBot company, business by which received about $19,000 like “commission”. In order to carry out the transference, the FBI used a “concealed account”, said American means of press. Trajectory. Curshen, that has an office in the Stroll Columbus, San jOse, was named consul honorary 1.° of July of the 2004, during the administration of Abel Pacheco. He lives in San Rafael de Escazú and has Costa Rican residence. IHis credential is effective, according to the Chancellery. San Cristóbal and Nieves is the country smallest - in whatever to population and territory of the American continent: 40,000 inhabitants and 261 kilometers square.

Anonymous

Posted: 10/11/2008 6:49:05 AM

By: cicci hyung

Is he allowed to leave the US?
Is the operation in CR still doing biz?
Wonder if other customer names have been given to SEC

Anonymous

Posted: 10/10/2008 7:49:04 PM

By: Ex-Curshen Employee Speaks

He is in the US but he has a residence in Costa Rica as well as a bunker style office on the 8th floor of the Edificio Colon in Paseo Colon. His residence is said to be in Escazu where you will find the most part of the slimy foreigners who come to do their trashy work and scams in Costa Rica. He has never invited his employees to his home.

Anonymous

Posted: 10/9/2008 5:58:17 PM

By: jim

Him & Grossman...fraud

Anonymous

Posted: 10/9/2008 4:02:31 PM

By: russell hoffmann

Is this guy now in US custody or Costa Rica? Sure sounds like he is a heavy hitter. Have been told that he has satelite operations in Nevis, Tel Aviv and Toronto.

Anonymous

Posted: 10/15/2008 12:52:10 PM

By: Ex Curshen Employee

I am Jewish too but I belong to the Chabad Community in Costa Rica. It seems a bit interesting that the prosecutor is Jewish. I do believe he will do a good job and send Curshen to jail but I doubt the sentence will be long and I do believe he will make sure that delicate and confidential information concerning money laundering by the Orthodox community in Costa Rica is not exposed. It seems to me that this is far more than coincidence. I would like to hear your opinion on this and we will also have to wait this out to see what happens.

Thanks

Anonymous

Posted: 10/15/2008 8:02:42 AM

Word is that he is untouchable, wonder if that is true. Or does this mean that there will be a domino effect of worlwide associates getting nabbed

Anonymous

Posted: 10/14/2008 4:24:01 AM

By: MisterSir

You mention this Jewish conspiracy, but it seems to have escaped you that the prosecuting attorney is Jewish. Curshen has done bad but he's in the states, out on bail, and no one is looking to save his butt. The US Justice system moves very slowly, but once it has its teeth in you there's no getting off.

Anonymous

Posted: 10/13/2008 3:50:20 PM

By: Ex Curshen Employee Speaks

I have only seen this guy from a distance before. I am not sure if he is here and I am not even sure if he has a permanent place to rest his head in CR. If he is here he is probably being guarded by you know who.

Anonymous

Posted: 10/13/2008 7:12:46 AM

I guess that they should call him " Teflon Jon"
What about his other partners not in CR ?

Anonymous

Posted: 11/1/2008 9:32:39 AM

By: More Info

http://amcostarica.com/morenews2.htm

Raid here connected with broker arrested in United States
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

Investigators raided the Centro Colón offices of a man who described himself as an expert in International Asset
Protection and hauled off computers and documents Thursday at the request of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The Poder Judicial said that the firm was Organización Red Sea/Sentry Global, which is made up of Red Sea Management, Sentry Global Trust, Sentry Global Securities and Global Financial Logistics.

A principal in Red Sea is Jonathan R. Curshen, 43, who lives in both Costa Rica and Sarasota, Florida. He is one of two men facing a criminal stock
manipulation charge in the United States.

According to a complaint that was filed Sept. 4 Curshen and a Maintland, Florida, man identified as Bruce Grossman, 50, schemed to defraud investors in Industrial Biotechnology Corp. common stock by paying secret cash kickbacks to an undercover FBI agent, who was posing as a middleman willing to recruit corrupt stockbrokers.

The U.S. Security Exchange Commission, the stock regulating agency, filed a civil complaint to enjoin the pair from illegal activities, to force them to surrender any money they may have made and assess a money penalty.

The civil complaint alleges that beginning in at least June 2008, Grossman and Curshen engaged in an undisclosed kickback arrangement with an individual who claimed to represent a group of registered representatives with trading discretion over the accounts of wealthy customers.

Unbeknownst to Grossman and Curshen, the individual actually was an undercover FBI agent, and Grossman and Curshen promised to pay a 2 percent kickback to the agent and the registered representatives he purported to represent in exchange for the purchase of up to $3 million of Industrial Biotechnology Corp. stock through the customers' accounts, said the complaint.

The civil complaint further alleges that from June 27 to July 2 Grossman and Curshen instructed the agent to purchase approximately 85,000 shares of Industrial Biotechnology Corp. stock for a total of approximately $76,000 through matched trades using detailed instructions concerning the size, price and timing of the purchase orders. Thereafter, Grossman and Curshen paid bribes of almost $19,000 to the agent.

Such a deal would stick unknowing investors with overpriced stock.

The criminal complaint could mean five years in prison if the men are convicted, according to U.S. Attorney Michael J. Garcia in New York City, whose office is prosecuting the case. Both Grossman and Curshen are on bail, the U.S. attorney said.

The Poder Judicial press office said that the raid at 9 a.m. Thursday was conducted by the Fiscalía de Fraudes, agents of the Judicial Investigating Organization, the criminal fraud section of the U.S. Department of Justice and FBI agents.

The press office said that the amount of the fraud is some $100 million, an amount that clearly puts the investigation in areas other than the stock manipulation. The offices are on the fifth and eighth floor of Edificio Centro Colón.

The press office also said that three persons were under investigation by the U.S. agencies. The press summary did not name Curshen specifically.

Shortly after the raid, the foreign ministry sent out a reminder that Curshen had been stripped of his privileges as a diplomat Oct. 8. He had been honorary consul in Costa Rica for the Caribbean nation of St. Kitts and Nevis. In fact, a former employee said that Curshen bragged that his diplomatic status would prevent any police raids of his offices.

Curshen is believed to have U.S. and British citizenships. He appears to be competent in self-promotions and announced on Red Sea's Web site that he wrote a book about obtaining a second passport for business reasons. His clientèle was almost exclusively from the U.S. and Canada, associates reported. Among other tasks his firm would create offshore corporations for foreigners. U.S. agents may have been in search of those records.

http://amcostarica.com/morenews2.htm

Anonymous

Posted: 10/15/2008 8:33:06 PM

Well, first of all these cards do no originate out of Costa Rica and they come mainly from Panama and what may come out of Costa Rica are cards from banks like Banco Nacional and Banco Popular which has allowed companies to establish payroll account s and request that the bank issue a debit card for the "employee" and in the end there were other uses for the card. I think we will have to see what happens here but I am sure his cool attitude says a lot on the subject. They run their own servers in a small room off to the left of the conference room and I doubt that the two guys they had working there when I was there could not even maintain a mail server half of the time so I doubt they could encrypt a connection. I think that there is not enough emphasis put on this case because who he is involved with and where the money comes from. If it was from another source there would be a nightmare for all of those involved and how many Rabbis have you seen go to jail in your lifetime?

I think we will see a slap on the wrist and he will get told "bad boy and better not do that again and get caught". Just like Fishmann who was going to out the ex-president Pacheco for receiving a check for US$10,000,000 which he cashed at Vaneer Financial Services (an exchange house and check cashing service) instead of using a bank. He wanted to out the president and bypass the vice president so he could get the spot. He was backed by "the community" and when it went sour he just fell off of the face of the political map in order to cover up the ordeal. So, I think we can se a pattern here.

Anonymous

Posted: 10/15/2008 5:58:20 PM

One would think that the US et al would have some sort of trace on the magic debit cards that supposedly originate from CR. An active client of that office would be foolish at best if he thought that his communications electronic or otherwise are of no interest to a variety of regulaqtors. Either we have an untouchable here or lots of people all across the continent are going to be touched sooner than later. Many people think that because the markets are in tatters that securities fraud and money laundering may not prosecuted as hard. Guess again, I think

Anonymous

Posted: 10/15/2008 3:02:49 PM

He is in the US and his office is still open as far as I know and Lucia Shum is in charge. Just think of all of the money that would be lost for the "community" if he stopped working. From what you have said it seems more and more likely that he will get off with a slap on the wrist or a fine. Where is David Marchant when you need him to expose a real crime?

Just thought I'd ask.

Anonymous

Posted: 10/15/2008 1:19:14 PM

Am curious, you talk of prosecutors in CR, is he in the US or CR? Does he face charges in CR? From what I have heard from some of his peeps in North America is that it is business as usual.Thus craeting the air of being teflon jon. Am not sure , but I believe there are some very close asociates in canada

Anonymous

Posted: 10/15/2008 1:12:13 PM

I think he will rat on some of the people who were his right hands. We may see Lucia Shum on her way to court in the US or at least be questioned by the US Embassy in Costa Rica. I doubt he will rat out the Jewish community as they have his balls in a sling. He has heavy connections in Canada and I am sure some (those not from the chosen one's) will have their names given over easily if Curshen thinks it is in his best interest.

Anonymous

Posted: 9/25/2009 7:22:52 AM

By: Robert Jones

In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and is also a civil law violation. Many hoaxes are fraudulent, although those not made for personal gain are not technically frauds. Defrauding people of money is presumably the most common type of fraud, but there have also been many fraudulent "discoveries" in art, archaeology, and science.

Anonymous

Posted: 9/14/2009 7:04:26 PM

By: Curshen Victim

We are currently trying to get our money out of Sentry Global..and the First Curacao International Bank. Our funds were frozen there when the bank went into emergency measures and we are true victims of this fraudster. It would be ever so helpful to have the whereabouts of Lucia Shum, Jonathan Curshen, Joe Francis, Allen Greenburg, Denis Segura, Christien Konweiser, Allan Salas, Ana Finegan, Johann Arias, Joanne Curshen, Oscar Herrera, or anyone else from the offices in San Jose? Ex-Curshen employee...can you provide any of this?

Anonymous

Posted: 2/4/2009 5:37:21 PM

By: BooYakashaaa!

DC g0t the MasterJ0n but good.
h0w many alphabets woz in the cave with the Bare
t00 many

Anonymous

Posted: 11/15/2008 8:11:56 AM

By: cbm

Did anyone from this organization get arrested. I read that an American Joseph Francis was also arrested in Costa Rico & extradited. Does anyone know him and do you think he is involved?

Anonymous

Posted: 11/6/2008 11:09:49 PM

By: BooYakashaaa!

the rEd sEa guy got pinched for $19,000!
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
ROTFL LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Anonymous

Posted: 5/18/2011 11:25:24 PM

By: Robert Jones

Well if the rest of what you wrote is as inaccurate as what you wrote about Joseph Francis, I'd say you might want to check your facts again and report back.

Go to: http://www.bop.gov (US Federal Bureau Of Prisons)
Search the Inmate Locator for Joseph Marshall Francis
Name Register# Age-Race-Sex
1. JOSEPH MARSHALL FRANCIS 81549-004 43-White-M

Release Date Location
07-07-2014 JESUP FCI

FCI Jesup

The Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) in Jesup is a medium security facility housing male offenders. It has two adjacent satellite facilities: a low security facility and a minimum security prison camp, both housing male inmates.

FCI Jesup is located in southeast Georgia on Route 301, 65 miles southwest of Savannah, 40 miles northwest of Brunswick, and 105 miles northwest of Jacksonville, Florida.

Southeast Georgia is a quite a distance from Miami where you suggest that Mr. Francis is located.

Anonymous

Posted: 1/21/2011 4:01:21 PM

By: ex-employee sentry global securities

for Lucia Shum go to Isla Verde restaurant/hotel San Jose Costa Rica - owned by mother and managed by Lucia.
for any proof of anything on Jonathan Curshen go to Mark Wells who is in possession of server not seized by FBI with proof of everything!!!! He lives in condo #2, behind the licorera La Bruja and the Farmacia Roma, right hand side,just up from the AutoMercado, Escazu, costa Rica. His girlfriend Gabriella lives opposite Jonathan's house at the Country Club condominiums, San Rafael de Escazu, Costa Rica. Mark Wells is also the current owner of what is left of Red Sea Management/SentryGlobal securities and has his offices hidden somewhere in the San Jose valley. He has kept the server as a get out of jail free card - just in case. Joe Francis is in Federal prison, Miami. David Ricci has bought shares in the Le Loft, bar, Jaco, Costa Rica- he probably used money stolen from the brokerage account which he alone had access to after Jonathans arrest. I hope this helps. Every body else mentioned in your enquiry also got right royally screwed by Jonathan Curshen.

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.