OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Non-compliant account holders still in denial?
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 10/12/2009 9:24:42 PM

By: David S. Lesperance

Aside from the silly comments from knightmare regarding the search for a "unicorn bank" to shift your accounts. Are there still people who hold non-compliant accounts who still haven't faced up to the new reality?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/business/13irs.html?_r=1&hp

David S. Lesperance
Barrister and Solicitor

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 10/13/2009 11:03:42 AM

By: Yes

Many people set up Swiss accounts years ago, and to come clean and pay back taxes, fines, etc. would substantially diminish the account value. Many of these same people have seen their nest egg wiped out, and they are simply not willing to part with any portion of their money regardless of the risk. Also, they have a feeling that "I haven't been caught so far, so why should I think I'm going to get caught now?"

The risk-reward equation doesn't make much sense, but truthfully it didn't when they set up the account in the first place either.

Wonder how many of the still-non-compliant Swiss account holders are deadbeats who have judgments against them in the U.S., and they can't come clean without disclosing the funds so that their creditors can start working to get at them.

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

BAHAMAS  
BERMUDA  
BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS  
CAYMAN ISLANDS  
Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.