OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Bradley Birkenfield on CBS 60 Minutes re: Offshore Banking 2nite
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 1/3/2010 1:47:31 PM

By: socheesy

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6037873n&tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel

Anonymous

Posted: 1/8/2010 7:44:54 AM

By: David Marchant

During the '60 Minutes' interview, Birkenfeld gave an absurd response to a question asking why, if he did not believe he was doing something illegal, he had gone to the trouble of storing gems in a toothpaste container when entering the country, instead of storing them in something less suspicious, e.g. a box.

Birkenfeld's answer was something along the lines of 'this is the most natural and normal way to transport gems'. This is not believable and it significantly undermined his credibility, in my opinion. It was obvious that he was being disingenuous.

Anonymous

Posted: 1/5/2010 10:58:29 AM

By: exxpat

This will act to discourage whistleblowers and encourage crime.

Anonymous

Posted: 1/4/2010 10:40:07 AM

By: knightmare3000

I saw the show. I still think that the real reason this happened was that Birkenfield did not get his bonus.he says he shall not return to Switzerland. he is going to prison. however there are still those that bank offshore. the real estate developer that hid $200 million just paid a $50 million dollar fine and that was it--no jail time. so my guess is that most with offshore accounts will get a slap on the wrist. probably Switzerland will not be used as it once was. other locales for banking in secret: Andorra, Uruguay, Belize. still if I banked in those locations, I would not feel the money was that safe. to put it in perssepctive, consider Mr. Tepper in New jersey. as a hedge fund manager,he made $2 billion last year for his base pay from the Appaloosa hedge fund. I think he pays his taxes and the fund is located in the Caymans. so I don't know why all the fuss over a land developer that hid $200 million. that is only a fraction of legal money in hedge fund trading. so get into hedge funds and make some real money

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

BAHAMAS  
BERMUDA  
BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS  
CAYMAN ISLANDS  
Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.