OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Offshore Asset Protection Losing Popularity
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 7/23/2010 2:14:03 PM

By: Offshore Atty

Interesting read, but the court ruling says this guy would be heading to jail with a domestic trust, an LLC, an under-the-table deal, or just about any other asset protection device you could hope to use.

The article omits a fundamental development in the federal courts... LLCs were thought to be great asset protection devices, but a number of federal courts have decided state law does not prevent federal courts from disregarding charging order limitations on single member entities... It is just a matter of time before the feds disregard multiple-member entities as well. In fact, the case cited by Forbes indicates that domestic asset protection trusts don't work!

Internal Administrator

Posted: 7/21/2010 10:53:56 PM

By: Steve Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0809/international-investing-asset-protection-trust-offshore-hide-money.html

Anonymous

Posted: 8/3/2010 10:34:44 AM

By: Bhupinder S Sood CPA

People who seek offshore protection fail to realize that they are the the mercy of host country; and eventually pay their "dues"; there is no shortcut. I try to explain to my clients in this way. Also, investing offshore is not a problem but trying to hide assets is.

Anonymous

Posted: 7/24/2010 10:59:30 AM

By: knightmare3000

with the new fianncial regulations that was just signed by President Obama and new money laundering regulations ( www.moneylaundering.com) , I doubt any one will even consider offshore anymore. thye may use it for investments, but I will tell you right now, it is filing a W-9 every step of the way with the offshore banks I deal with in europe

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

ALL ARTICLES  
US tycoon Bob Brockman indicted for '$2B offshore tax fraud scheme'
US software tycoon Bob Brockman has been criminally indicted in California for an alleged $2 billion offshore tax evasion scheme involving accounts and entities in Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Nevis, and Switzerland. In a related case, billionaire private equity boss Robert Smith agreed to pay penalties of $139 million to avoid prosecution.
LATEST ARTICLES & DOCUMENTS  
Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.