OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Peter Johannson
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 11/11/2010 11:23:45 AM

By: David Marchant

It's difficult to know exactly what is going on because of the language difference but, if I'm reading this correctly, Peter Johansson and Erik Ahrsjo were acquitted and the prosecutor is appealing.

Presumably, the new evidence' cannot be used against Messrs. Johansson and Ahrsjo in the appeal, since it was not included in the trial, but only against their yet-to-be-tried alleged accomplice.

Anonymous

Posted: 11/11/2010 10:27:09 AM

By: From Sweden

Sorry should read "been able to unlock encryption"

Internal Administrator

Posted: 11/11/2010 10:25:43 AM

http://www.newzglobe.com/sv/artikel/20101102/aklagarens-trumfkort-mot-pokerligan

Use Google Translate.

This time i'm 100% sure Peter would need to spend his next eight years in prision. The prosecutor has been un able to reomve the encryption from one of Peters notebook, and all details arew die open!

T

Anonymous

Posted: 11/16/2010 1:06:24 PM

By: Martin

There are three levels of courts in Sweden and the judgement can be changed by the superior court. Both the prosecutor and the defendant have the legal right to present new evidence or information that they think should be taken into consideration by the court of appeal. As in this particular case, it seems like the prosecutor have found new evidence which he likes to present.

If the court finds them valid, the outcome may be changed. There is however no need to present new evidence to appeal, it could simply be that the prosecutor or the defendant not are happy with the outcome.

So yes, you may be set free in the first level of court and have a life sentence in the second for the very same actions. The only difference thing is that the later court have found you guilty. Let´s see what happens in this case.

Anonymous

Posted: 11/15/2010 11:54:11 AM

If Google Translate is accurate, this article does not indicate that this new evidence will be used in the appeal of the acquittals of Messrs. Johansson and Ahrjso but that it will be used in the prosecution of Thomas Langroth, who has yet to be tried.

Also, if what you claim is accurate, i.e. that new factual evidence that was not presented at trial can be used to appeal an acquittal, you are essentially stating that the concept of 'double jeopardy' does not exist in Sweden, i.e. that, if new evidence comes along after a trial, you can re-try a defendant for the the same offense(s) for which he or she has already been acquitted. I find that very difficult to believe.

Anonymous

Posted: 11/15/2010 8:11:39 AM

New evidence can be indeed presented in a court of (criminal) law in Sweden. When reading the story, this is what the prosecutor will do.

Anonymous

Posted: 11/12/2010 3:58:22 AM

I'm no lawyer but I find it difficult to believe that new factual evidence can be presented at an appeal.

An appeal is about what happened at the trial, not what did not happen at the trial.

Anonymous

Posted: 11/11/2010 3:39:30 PM

Yes it's correct the prosecutor appealed and now the case are proccessed in the high court.

Un correct in the swedish legal system new evidence will be used against them! To 100% they will now end up where they belong in jail, with long sentence.

Eric has btw. been in jail before for similar crimes!

Anonymous

Posted: 11/17/2010 8:44:10 AM

My mistake.

Is Peter Jackson the person who was recently arrested or was it someone else?

Anonymous

Posted: 11/17/2010 4:04:40 AM

Mr. Thomas Langroth is the prosecutor.

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.