OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Credit Suisse Banker Arrested
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 2/22/2011 3:05:25 PM

By: More Clients Worried

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/22/us-banker-creditsuisse-idUSTRE71L6UW20110222

Anonymous

Posted: 2/26/2011 9:23:34 AM

By: joyful

I post here for the above previous posters..

1) Stop the hypocrisy....Which is ? The Swiss government was quick to point out in the debate that tax was a regalian power no other gouvernment shall interfere with... The US and most other nations agree with this position...To the exception that they seek to ban the special tax regime that applies to base companies in Switzerland...The argument being that it amounts to indirect aid distorting competition... It must have had some bone as the Swiss cantons are now trying to find a way out by lowering corporate tax across the board...
Therefore if tax is a regalian power, as the Swiss contended, it is natural that any government protect their tax base from poachers.. Freedom to declare your revenue come with the string of enforcement in case of fraud.

2) Legitimate customer : the passing of time does not make anyone legitimate when the proceed in bank account is coming from tax evasion/fraud....etc..If you were that legitimate why going into all the trouble to move account from Switzerland to Dnemark and transfering the money in Euros...If you were having a legitimate , declared under US rules of the Qualified Intermeidary and WS9 form, account you could have saved the hassle...

3) History reminds us that Swiss are mercenaries, wether it is on the battlefield or in banking.. The Swiss bank secrecy was created to protect the banks and the country reputation...Clients have had been marketed a by-product of the legislation... The country is now faced with some pressure to open up. Sacrificing clients will help CS and other Swiss banks weather the century...Clients are merely a pawn in the process...

Anonymous

Posted: 2/25/2011 9:02:42 AM

By: knightmare3000

As a former Credit Suisse client in Zurich, I find this very amusing. Why? Because about 18 months ago, Credit Suisse informed me that I had to close my account. This after some loyalty to them for about 20 years.It was done abruptly, without prior notice. They said they sent an advanced notice. However it was NOT received. Either they were lying or the US POSTAL INSPECTOR SERVICE intercepted the mail and deliberately did not deliver it. I am not being paranoia. Why would that be done? Because with the final notice--which I got--I had only 3 weeks to find a bank to transfer and deposit the money. It would have forced some people to send the money to the US without thinking. Fortunately I had already gotten a new account in Denmark,so the transfer went as planned. Credit suisse did point out that if I transferred any money in US DOLLARS,then it goes through a US bank even if the final destination is elsewhere. Not all banks accept Swiss francs by the way. My guess is that if I used USD,then the money would have been confiscated in New York as soon as it was in the bank waiting for transfer to Denmark.. So I transfered the money in EUROs directly to Copenhagen.. It went through OK. So now they say the US is applying the heat to Switzerland banks. This is even for the cantonal banks and small private outfits that only have to follow Swiss banking law since they are not international( i.e. they don't have branches outside of Switzerland) . My guess is that more and more customers --even the legitimate ones as myself--will face the axe.It is a pity. The banks and the investments there used to be the best I have ever seen in any country.Best wishes. Thanks for listening

Anonymous

Posted: 2/25/2011 5:48:41 AM

By: Stop The Hypocrisy

When will they start arresting Wall Street Bankers responsible for the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression?

Why are they making it almost impossible for Americans to bank abroad?

When will the creation of shell companies without any beneficial owner information required end in the USA?

How much undeclared money is there in the USA from Latin American clients?

etc.

Anonymous

Posted: 2/23/2011 3:40:26 PM

By: 4 Bankers Charged Many Clients Worried

http://blogs.forbes.com/williampbarrett/2011/02/23/u-s-charges-4-swiss-bankers-with-plotting-tax-evasion/

Anonymous

Posted: 2/27/2011 9:17:15 PM

By: The Private Investors Group

There are several issues all tied up in this one.

First, any and all USD that is wired anywhere is the world goes through the FED Reserve in New York. The wire takes that path so that the FED Reserve knows, at all times what is going one with their money. Example. I am in Beirut and you are in Mexico City and I send you a USD Wire. It will pass through the FED in NY.

Second, it might be that the account was a previously numbered account and one that was used for the purpose of avoiding paying U S. Taxes. If this is the case, then I understand, as the IRS has cracked down on all countries that were allowing those subject to IRS Rules and Regulations to hide money for tax purposes. Now, everyone has to report, period.

Third, the writer is correct in that there are no more "safe havens", a place where you can hide money from the IRS.
Moral of the story: Pay your taxes and no one will harass you.

Jump to different Forum... 

OffshoreConnect Free Sign Up

Stay informed & connected

• Free Email Alerts on Breaking News
  • Free Access to Blogs by Industry Leaders
  • Free Contribute to Due Diligence Forums
Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.