OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
georgio gets no new trial
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 3/28/2011 2:01:16 PM

By: peter souvalakis

http://www.stockwatch.com/News/Item.aspx?bid=Z-C%3a*SEC-1823546&symbol=*SEC®ion=C

Anonymous

Posted: 4/1/2011 5:44:35 AM

By: sppedstick

he is in very rough jail.he will be in jail for 20 years,however all of the people who think they can just forget about him and move on to the next slime ball deal should think again.when he was first charged they took his laptop and blackberry chalk full of dirty deeds with others.feeling bitter and angry at how his life has turned out could lead to some hostile thoughts over the years.if you did biz with him in any way over the last five years!!!!! they could be watching you too.

Anonymous

Posted: 3/28/2011 9:17:41 PM

By: skriko mishkin

Yes, I agree, the sentence is stiff, but thats what you get when you don't take the deal. I don't think that there are too many people who believe he is innocent. Sadly, his conviction and massive fine will not make the clients of Caledonia whole. I do find it curious as to why nobody has been charged or sanctioned by the OSC or SEC for taking the orders and instructing the carrying broker to leverage the omnibus account of Caledonia. Does anybody what became of Matt McNeely? I think that GG is probably becoming quite well versed in the world of gangs. It would be awful to be in a US prison, that much worse in California

Anonymous

Posted: 3/28/2011 7:31:18 PM

By: David Marchant

If you plead not guilty and are found guilty at trial, the sentence is typically much stiffer than if you pleaded guilty.

Georgiou's case reminded me of another another white-collar crime case at USA federal court involving a Canadian national, specifically Serdar Kalaycioglu.

In both cases, the evidence against the defendant was overwhelming, yet, for reasons best known to themselves, they decided to plead not guilty and seemed intent on wasting everyone's time in the legal proceedings.

Kalaycioglu received an even lengthier prison sentence than Georgiou, 27 years, compared with 25 years for Georgiou.

Anonymous

Posted: 3/28/2011 6:49:43 PM

By: spundo silverstein

Lets face it GG does not deserve the stiff sentence.ya he should get a few years for being a cheese,but not this.he will be locked up longer than a child perv would.He should try to get moved to a canadain jail,that way he would be out in five years.Then ratt out evreyone he knows.

Anonymous

Posted: 3/28/2011 3:40:12 PM

By: jack jensen

Yikes, it says he is housed north of los angeles. The good news is that the weather is better than toronto. The bad news is lots of gangs, crips, bloods, mexicans, and then there is GG. It sounds like a sticky situation to me

Anonymous

Posted: 4/10/2011 6:47:56 PM

By: Patty

The only way he can reduce his heavy duty 20 year sentence is to ratt out any body he knows.last time i saw him he was in yorkville looking slick and hanging out with two boneheads that were kyting stock for him.be nervous as he now sees he has no friends and he is bitter and angry.there comming for you guys ,just dont cross the border.

Anonymous

Posted: 4/3/2011 11:21:04 AM

By: like a chicken with its head cut off

that is the truth, there are many out there that should be concerned as it is foolish to think that the confiscated balckberry and laptop will not be harvested for all names and information. my take is that people who were in bed with GG would be wise to lawyer ASAP for 2 simple reasons, 1, the feds have all of the data from the computers 2, who know maybe names will equal a reduced sentence. its all pretty scary

Jump to different Forum... 

OffshoreConnect Free Sign Up

Stay informed & connected

• Free Email Alerts on Breaking News
  • Free Access to Blogs by Industry Leaders
  • Free Contribute to Due Diligence Forums
Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.