OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
david Baines is the best reporter ever!!!!
Internal Administrator
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011

Posted: 6/29/2011 5:28:06 PM

By: kennedy larock

http://www.stockwatch.com/News/Item.aspx?bid=Z-U:AOAG-1856840&symbol=AOAG&news_region=U

Anonymous

Posted: 7/2/2011 8:00:38 PM

By: Finn Hannerity

Agreed, many of my best customers are so called venture capitalists from vancouver. In fact, one of my best guys is now the ceo of a yact buiding company of all things. However, he did not pay all of his bills on atimely basis. When I did some research I found that he was in fact an ex pat from vancouver who ran an online promo service. Hardly a greek shipping magnet as he claimed. Its a strange world.

Anonymous

Posted: 7/1/2011 2:41:50 PM

By: David Marchant

I agree with you. That he has done all of this while operating in such a toxic environment for journalists makes it even more commendable.

As I stated previously, I would probably no longer be a journalist if I had to work in a country whose libel law was based on the UK's. I would find it too demoralizing.

Anonymous

Posted: 7/1/2011 7:15:45 AM

By: joshy

As the BCSC is a joke Baines is the only thing vancouver based pumpers fear.He has closed down many boiler rooms,mail drop pumps and exposed penny stock fraud on a grand scale.He has saved people millions by exposing fraud ,and caused many fraudsters to puke in the wee hours of the morning .

Anonymous

Posted: 6/30/2011 2:17:55 PM

An anecdote.

A convicted criminal sued me and my company for libel in Toronto. When we answered the summons (within the timeframe stated on the summons), we learned that the court had already issued a default judgment against us. When our attorney contacted the court clerk to point out the error, the clerk agreed that it was an error but said it could not be corrected without the plaintiff's consent and the plaintiff (a convicted criminal) would only give his consent if we paid his fees.

It really was beyond pathetic. The default judgment was eventually overturned and the libel action was eventually dismissed.

The US legal system, whether it be for civil matters, including libel, or criminal, is light years ahead of anything I have seen in terms of actually dispensing justice. The British legal system or the many countries whose legal systems are a virtual reflection of Britain's is unbelievably awful, in my experience.

Anonymous

Posted: 6/29/2011 7:30:45 PM

If I had to work under the United Kingdom's libel law or a libel law based on it, such as Canada, I honestly don't believe I would still be a reporter.

I'm sure several of the crooks who have unsuccessfully sued me for libel in the US and subsequently been convicted in criminal actions would have won their libel actions under the ridiculous libel laws that the UK has vomited on the world.

The UK is one of the most financial crime-friendly jurisdictions in the world. Journalists are terrified of exposing anyone because the odds are stacked in favor of the bad guys and the regulators and criminal prosecutorial agencies generally have very poor records of holding fraudsters accountable for their actions.

That former Canadian senator Edward Lawson, should receive $5,000 from a newspaper merely for being called "a liberal" says it all. It is pathetic.

Jump to different Forum... 

We hunt for red flags in high-value, cross-border finance by monitoring offshore and onshore courts, regulatory actions, offering documents, and other sources - and email you the results.

View Recent Digests

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.