OffshoreAlert
Daily news, documents and intelligence about Offshore Financial Centers and those who conduct business in them that you will not find anywhere else.
RSS Feed Print
Best and worst jurisdictions for effectively handling trustee fraud?
OSAlertFan
Posted: Saturday, August 2, 2014

Let's say I set-up a bank account in the name of a Trust on an offshore island in the Pacific. As is often the case, the Trustees of the Trust are nominees based in the offshore jurisdiction, for security. Therefore the bank account is in their control.

There are always bad eggs in this world and what's to stop a nominee Trustee from transfer my money, in the Trust's bank account, to his own account? The bank account login details etc. go to him, as he's the Trustee on the papers.

Do jurisdictions like the Cook Islands, Nevis and others have examples of having promptly and effectively dealt with such scenarios?

The reason I am asking is because, in my experience, the more 'exotic' countries have laws to protect people's rights, but in most cases they are rarely enforced and there is a lot of corruption (people often know each other in these circles in such countries). I was defrauded by somebody based in Mauritius and the legal system and police did nothing about it, even though he had clearly broken the laws in Mauritius.

Which offshore legislations have robust and easily enforceable legislation to protect Settlors and Beneficiaries from fraudulent Trustees and which ones don't? Case studies and examples would be most welcome, as all these jurisdictions talk the talk, but walking the walk is another matter, as the Editor of this very website has commented previously.

Would you suggest this is a reason to go with more of a 'mid-shore' jurisdiction, where it is easier to deal with a rogue individual or trust provider being fraudulent?

Many thanks. 

Jump to different Forum... 

OffshoreConnect Free Sign Up

Stay informed & connected

• Free Email Alerts on Breaking News
  • Free Access to Blogs by Industry Leaders
  • Free Contribute to Due Diligence Forums
Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients
David Marchant
As any fule kno, the biggest enemy of fraud, corruption, money laundering, and other forms of financial crime is transparency, while their best friend is secrecy. That's why the unprecedented mass sealing of cases that's taking place at the Financial Services Division of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands is repugnant to anyone with a genuine concern for financial crime.